An object lesson in keeping your mouth shut...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

I realise this is gonna make me look very bad and that's fair enough but hopefully the nasty incident from my commute this morning will teach me to keep my mouth shut...

Cycling along Albert Embankment, a girl cycles alongside me as we get nearer to a set of red lights, I stop and she kind of pauses at the line, then cycles through, I mutter 'they're still red', she continues on, and then I mutter 'b***h'. Totally wrong of me, I really shouldn't have said that but it slipped out and she 100% didn't even hear my statement let alone the b word.

Anyway, Mr 'hi-viz, fancy racing bike', cycles past and is just about to RLJ himself but as he's passing, he caught my insult, stops, turns around and gets right in my face [I'm paraphrasing here, I'll add the vid later for more accuracy]

Him: 'What's your problem etc etc.?'
Me: 'She's going through a red light'
Him: 'So?'
Me: 'It's illegal'
Him: 'There are a lot of things that are illegal, we don't have to all follow the rules'
Bit more back and forth including him saying 'you're gonna end up with a smack in the face', then he clocks my camera so starts on about that, and he's still going on as the light turns green (he's got his back to it) so I have to tell him it's green and can we go, he eventually lets me go.

I'm behind him all the way now and then over Lambeth Bridge, round the roundabout then he starts on again as we cycle up Millbank, going on about my camera, how angry I am (I WAS actually in a very good mood funnily enough) etc etc, I'm trying to ignore him but then I say 'you're the one carrying this on, let it go now'. Him: 'you can't go round calling young ladies b****hes', Me: 'let it go' etc., then I turn left and he wishes me a nice day and I say 'you too'.

Anyway, lesson learned, keep mouth shut, if others want to end up with a bus or lorry parked on their face (and she really could have on that junction) that's their business - not to mention all those road users who see bad cycling and think 'typical cyclist'.

It seems that muttering a name at someone that they can't hear is a capital offence but breaking an actual law (or any law really) is absolutely fine. Trouble is, when you resort to bad language, you instantly lose any moral high ground...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
You were right about the red light jumper...

If we were to subscribe to the inevitability myth that some do on here perhaps the next time he states "we don't have to all follow the rules" someone will say "THANKS!" and punch him square in the jaw...?

sazzaa

I seem to have got into the habit of calling everyone "dude" when I'm on a bike, no idea why because I barely use the word otherwise! But if someone pulls a dodgy manoeuvre I hear myself shouting "DUUUUUUUDE, WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!!!!"

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I seem to have got into the habit of calling everyone "dude" when I'm on a bike, no idea why because I barely use the word otherwise! But if someone pulls a dodgy manoeuvre I hear myself shouting "DUUUUUUUDE, WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!!!!"

I id get into the habit of counting any idiots out loud, so I'd go 'Three!' and leave it at that, they'd look at me quizzically for a second then carry on. Can't be offended by a number, maybe I'll try and train myself to get back into that.

Or actually even 'berk' is preferable, if I really can't keep schtum...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Ironic being told how angry you are by Mr Angry himself, he obviously has a chip on his shoulder about RLJ'ing.

Really did seem disproportionate and as I say, I was in a good mood this morning, especially for a monday. But it was the camera that prompted that, he couldn't understand why anyone would wear one and I wasn't about to start to explain...

What I said was a bit misogynistic so maybe that's the one thing he reacts to? Or maybe it was just the noose to hang me by as he took more offence at the red light comment? Hard to say.

BSRU

A Human Being
Really did seem disproportionate and as I say, I was in a good mood this morning, especially for a monday. But it was the camera that prompted that, he couldn't understand why anyone would wear one and I wasn't about to start to explain...

What I said was a bit misogynistic so maybe that's the one thing he reacts to? Or maybe it was just the noose to hang me by as he took more offence at the red light comment? Hard to say.
Just say "Bee Hatch" next time:tongue:

Linford

Probably more that he behaves like a cock all the time, and his conscience got the better of him...he couldn't handle the power of reason!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Or actually even 'berk' is preferable, if I really can't keep schtum...

You sure?
Although seen as a low level insult, I believe Berk is actually rhyming slang. See below.....
link

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

You sure?
Although seen as a low level insult, I believe Berk is actually rhyming slang. See below.....
link

Damn, I forgot that. Yes, you're right. I thought it was a very teatime sitcom kind of thing to say.

Though saying that, you'd have to have some kind of education to know the etymology of things...

No, I'm going back to counting ^_^

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It'z London innit?

We're far more chilled up here in Mancunia. I nearly wiped out a 10-12yr old kid on the commute last week when a family of 4 ran across a main road in front of/into me in the dark and rain :wacko:. Luckily I was on the brakes sharpish and yelled 'whoa, whoa, whoa, WATCH where you're going!' No bad language or remonstrations needed but I was doing 20mph at the time so would have been nasty for us both if I had hit him.

I did wonder if my bright front light was working as it was an otherwise clear road so they should easily have seen me approaching? About a mile later I was then nearly taken out by 3 kids on BMXs emerging from between queuing cars without looking. Again no profanity, it was just one of those nights when I seemed to be invisible :ph34r: (and I double checked again to make sure my lights were on!).

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

It'z London innit?

We're far more chilled up here in Mancunia. I nearly wiped out a 10-12yr old kid on the commute last week when a family of 4 ran across a main road in front of/into me in the dark and rain :wacko:. Luckily I was on the brakes sharpish and yelled 'whoa, whoa, whoa, WATCH where you're going!' No bad language or remonstrations needed but I was doing 20mph at the time so would have been nasty for us both if I had hit him.

I did wonder if my bright front light was working as it was an otherwise clear road so they should easily have seen me approaching? About a mile later I was then nearly taken out by 3 kids on BMXs emerging from between queuing cars without looking. Again no profanity, it was just one of those nights when I seemed to be invisible :ph34r: (and I double checked again to make sure my lights were on!).

Ironically, he had a strong accent which might have even been from Manchester...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

As I say, the lesson is, keep your mouth shut. The law of probabilty would indicate that continual bad cycling will eventually lead to an accident so they'll either amend their behaviour through being hurt or be taken out of the equation entirely...

Top Bottom