Android Auto..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I always preferred apple for usability even though I use android. Google maps usually trumps car satnavs imho.

edit: trumps

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I always preferred apple for usability even though I use android. Google maps usually car satnavs imho.
I can't understand this, and I don't think it is a lack of technological understanding that is the problem!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
On the 'distraction' front, I don't drive often, but if I need to use satnav, my phone is stuck to the dashboard (with a magnet) and google maps, with voice directions on, tells me in advance what to do (e.g. "in 300 yards, at the roundabout, take the second exit"). Works a treat, and I don't even need to look at the phone. I'd never, ever use any kind of other app while driving.

chewbaker

Regular
Spotify and stitcher can both be used through android auto... and certainly in my car they are controlled via the steering wheel controls in the same way as the in-built DAB radio...

mustang1

Guru
I can't understand this, and I don't think it is a lack of technological understanding that is the problem!

When I first started using OSX, it seemed odd but after three months I was a fan. When people said "The OS just moves out of the way and let's you get on with things", I didn't understand that until I used it. I can't quite explain it. Here are somethings that might help:
In other OSes, if I close an app, it asks me if I'm sure I want to close it. That might sound like a good idea in case I accidentally closed the app, but the way Apple has the product designed, I never ended up accidentally closing apps. In Windows, the X to close an app (at top right) is so close to the maximize button but in iOS, there is a space between those buttons.

In Windows, there are a few ways to get to (for example) "Network properties" and in iOS there is only one way. Some people may think it's good to have choice of doing things, but if you're a newb, then pressing various buttons and still getting to the same screen will end up tearing your hair out.

Same thing with Android... it's soooo configurable. But I found with iOS, things are configured just the way I want out of the box.

The only problems I recall having with Apple are:
1. I didn't like that the app window would not maximize to the full size of the screen (instead, it would maximize up to whatever the app needed)
2. The disk started filling up and i couldn't figure out why
3. It hung a few times and there was no way I could get out of it until power off

I also found Apple products have less features, but they worked better. Other products had more features, but they always felt like they were in beta and if I ever complained to the android fans, they would tell me "wait for the update".

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
When I first started using OSX, it seemed odd but after three months I was a fan. When people said "The OS just moves out of the way and let's you get on with things", I didn't understand that until I used it. I can't quite explain it. Here are somethings that might help:
In other OSes, if I close an app, it asks me if I'm sure I want to close it. That might sound like a good idea in case I accidentally closed the app, but the way Apple has the product designed, I never ended up accidentally closing apps. In Windows, the X to close an app (at top right) is so close to the maximize button but in iOS, there is a space between those buttons.

In Windows, there are a few ways to get to (for example) "Network properties" and in iOS there is only one way. Some people may think it's good to have choice of doing things, but if you're a newb, then pressing various buttons and still getting to the same screen will end up tearing your hair out.

Same thing with Android... it's soooo configurable. But I found with iOS, things are configured just the way I want out of the box.

The only problems I recall having with Apple are:
1. I didn't like that the app window would not maximize to the full size of the screen (instead, it would maximize up to whatever the app needed)
2. The disk started filling up and i couldn't figure out why
3. It hung a few times and there was no way I could get out of it until power off

I also found Apple products have less features, but they worked better. Other products had more features, but they always felt like they were in beta and if I ever complained to the android fans, they would tell me "wait for the update".
Which is kind of my 1st point, why should we have all this crap in a car? You are there to drive, not mess around with a multitude of options, no matter how 'convenient' or well integrated they are. Focus on the job of driving a 1 ton+ killing machine and don't build in or install features that will take your eyes or mind of the important job. Even with the best intentions (and we as cyclists are often too painfully aware of the consequences) it is simple human nature that distractions will distract!

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
OK, I have now had a quick play with this and can see it's potential as a sat nav, seems to do what I want for much less than getting built in system.

Now WTF is Spotify? :unsure:

chewbaker

Regular
OK, I have now had a quick play with this and can see it's potential as a sat nav, seems to do what I want for much less than getting built in system.

Now WTF is Spotify? :unsure:

A music streaming service...

Top Bottom