Android smartphone recommendations please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
...time to get a new phone.

Needs a decent camera, lots of memory, and no teeny tiny screen please, screen needs to be readable outdoors in bright light, reasonably robust, et cetera.

Tim Hall

Moto G5 for the not expensive option. No/minimal bloatware that you can't uninstall. I've got mine in one of those wallet cases and had in in my jacket pocket as I Sadiq Sycled across London. Suddenly the navigation instructions in my ear piece stopped, as it had fallen from my pocket and hit the deck. Picked it up, working fine, no damage.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
The Huawei phones are good P9 or P10 and have a dual camera. They do everything you need on a phone. You can also buy some really high spec phones on Gearbest £150 ish and just stick in a sim card, this is the road i will go down next when my P9 breaks, if it does.

Last edited:
Another G5 recommendation. 16Gb storage, 2 or 3Gb memory options, pretty decent camera, see this post of mine for piccies from it

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/post-5129650

The screen is decent, it comes in two different sizes, is on the latest version of Android and will update to the next when it comes out, is pretty tough with a metal back and gorilla glass.

Downsides, not waterproof but the battery is replaceable, no NFC and no magnetometer, so no compass which means if you're using it for directions you have to start walking to see where you're going, which is no biggie for me.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
P10 lite for me 3 weeks in its great. The only downside is completely glass case it feels lovely but it will slide off any slightly skewed table a case would stop this of course but never see the point in a lovely slim phone and then putting a whacking great big rubber case around it to sticking it in a wallet..

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another recommendation for the Moto G series.
I've got a G4 Plus and it's does everything you could need from a phone, has a good camera, the battery lasts all day (unless you're really caning it) and it's sensibly priced.
For example it coped with a 9 hour bike ride running Live Track on Garmin Connect and Map My Ride, plus all the usual phone stuff, and taking a load of pics and still had nearly 30% battery left when I got in.
When it eventually needs replacing I can't see a better option than a Moto G5 Plus.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 5132580, member: 259"]What's your budget?[/QUOTE]
What's a budget? ;)

Whilst I wouldn't ever say money is no object, well, money is pretty much no object for the right device.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd wait till Feb/March. The world mobile congress is very soon. New devices are launched in the spring, for example the P11 is rumoured to be launched. If you didn't want any of the latest 2018 models then you would still have the 2017 models at a lower price.

16GB storage? :eek: Is that all?

My music alone is c.50GB and the photos another c.10GB. Luckily I've got 128GB storage on my phone....
You can stick an SD card in but yeah, if you have those kind of requirements, it might not suit. I tend to Spotify everything these days though.

Top Bottom