Android smartphone recommendations please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've had, betwen us all, various motorolas and been happy with 'em - the Defy, Moto E (in a couple of different versions) and Moto G (again, a couple of different versions). The EldestCub took a dislike to the Moto G5 he was offered on upgrade (in fairness, it is made by a different manufacturer and by a couple of his measures wasn't what he wanted) so he ended up with a Huawei - and apart from having thrown it dramatically across a room by acident and cracking the screen after 6 months he is very happy with it. It has survived multiple further teenage cack-handed moments without further damage....

J1888

Über Member
If money ain't an object then it's a toss-up between the Google Pixel 2 or whatever it's called, the newest OnePlus, the latest Huawei, and the Samsung S8 Plus or their latest Note.

They're all very well regarded by tech websites...part of me would plump for whatever has the least overlay - i.e. Samsung's TouchWiz or whatever it's called, is really irritating, whereas Google phones give you pure Android.

If you want to save cash then the Moto recommendations are where it's at...though read some reviews as they didn't all get better with each new iteration by all accounts

If you want to save cash then the Moto recommendations are where it's at...though read some reviews as they didn't all get better with each new iteration by all accounts

Which do you consider the best?

Am I right in thinking that not all have a removable user-replaceable battery?

J1888

Über Member
Which do you consider the best?

Am I right in thinking that not all have a removable user-replaceable battery?

I understand that they're all decent phones but unsurprisingly, the best is supposed to be the most expensive, the G5S Plus...without a removable battery. the G5 does have a removable battery. I believe that after the G4 was so good, some people were disappointed by the G5 with some buginess reported.

I've ventured into the world of Gearbest and Chinese phones with a Doogee S60.
Not something you'd ever forget you're carrying. Wireless charging is handy as it means you don't need to pull out the rubber plug from the USB port (I've always needed a tool of some sort as its a really tight fit anyway). Think repeated removal may compromise the waterproof rating.
And if you drop it on your toe whilst barefoot, it hurts.

Interesting piemaster, but that review says:

≥≥ Unless you have big pockets, it’s unlikely that you will carry this device around on you.

Isn't that a bit of a problem in a mobile?

Or have I missed something?

Ps, where did you get yours?

I'm a Yorkshireman so have deep pockets. And short arms

Seriously, it will just fit in jeans pocket, but I tend to carry it in coat/jacket pocket and often wear trousers/shorts with cargo pockets so not found it a problem. It is a bit of beast having a big screen, but you don't need any sort of case. Not for everyone by any means.

Last edited:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
P10 lite for me 3 weeks in its great. The only downside is completely glass case it feels lovely but it will slide off any slightly skewed table a case would stop this of course but never see the point in a lovely slim phone and then putting a whacking great big rubber case around it to sticking it in a wallet..
Take it back it just leapt out of my pocket straight on to concrete cracked top left had corner and straight down the back, farking pile of shite!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Take it back it just leapt out of my pocket straight on to concrete cracked top left had corner and straight down the back, farking pile of shite!
Never had a smartphone without getting a 99p silicon slip case from China...just that crucial little bit of buffering for when you fumble & it hits the deck. It's saved me more often than I care to remember.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Mrs M has a Moto G5 very nice phone for the money, imo. No. 1 son has an LG G6 that he's happy with.

I'm still using a Note 4, great phone with bags of storage & RAM, lovely screen and camera, and a removable/replaceable battery - second hand would be the only option for that though, I'd imagine.

Top Bottom