Android

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Just been talking to Vodafone - done a deal and I get a HTC Tattoo smartphone, arriving tomorrow hopefully. I know it's not the best of the bunch, but seems to have what I want. Anyone else have Android on their phone? Any good app's you recommend?

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I am just about to buy an HTC Hero... hopefully the 2.1 upgrade will appear shortly ;)

Get yourself over to http://androidforums.com/ for everything you ever need to know about the tattoo.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The thread linked to here started with discussion about T-Mobile G1, but there's some recommendations and personal experiences of apps too. I'm still happy enough with G1, and Android seems a great system (I'm a user though, not a programmer). Only prob is apps can't be saved (unless you 'root' the phone) to SD card, and so internal memory fills up. Just had a purge this evening of apps I don't really use. Best ones for me are google maps, my tracks (tracks my cycling and uploads maps to googl maps online). Plus integration with my google account for mail, contacts etc is seamless and very handy indeed.

Oh aye, I have an HTC Magic. Great wee phone and Android is the dogs dangly bits.
Looking on my phone I have:

Astro file manager
Beebplayer
Bubble (spirit level)
Google sky map (very cool)
GPS tracker (live tracking)
Layer (virtual reality whatsajig)
Metal detector!
My tracks (GPS tracker)
Search and Dine
Shazam
Shopsavvy
SportPal (another GPS tracker)
Tricorder (one for Treckies!)
Wikitude

Enjoy!

amnesia said:
So how does the metal detector work ???

The on-board compass isn't sensitive enough to be particularly useful, surely ?

Umm, I should know this being an MRI physicist! They probably use the antenna I should think. It works, sort of! :evil:

I can't make up my mind what phone to get! I've got a Palm Treo 650 which I've had a few years and it's great, still works but am a bit bored with it. I'm not in the market for spending silly money on monthly rentals and have a Mac, so that limits me somewhat. I do like gadgets.

I've been looking on t'internet and found if I get a phone through Mr Campfire's business as I'm a sort of 'shareholder' I could get an iPhone for £25 pm! Now that's my max but - I can't make up my mind again about iphone. Is it just something that people play with on the train or standing waiting for a train?

Has anyone tried the new Palm Pre?

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Thanks for the links

I think the phone has 512mb built in - will have to see how it goes. It's a shame because windows mobile could run apps from the memory card as well as multi task, as an operating system for a phone though it was awfull. Ended up flogging the Sony experia I had and reverted to my old k800. things may improve when WM7 comes out.

Was going to hold out for an iphone, but they just seem to be a money making machine for apple. Plus the contract was too dear.

Will definitely want something for the GPS on the bike for the summer, would also like a system to make a route planner at the same time.

I'm hoping aswell that it can be tethered to the laptop to act as a 3g modem the same as my k800 can. That was one good thing with the experia, HSDPA mobile broadband to the laptop - £5 per month instead of £15 for a seperate dongle.

G1 can't be upgraded beyond Android 1.6 - Cupcake.

Guess which phone I have. :evil:

However I will probably upgraded it to a newer model when my contract eventually runs out.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

Been playing around with it, very good so far, much better than that Xperia with WinMo on it.

I put Google Sky on it - WOW! really impressive.

My only criticism so far is that it would probably benefit from a stylus sometimes - but no where to carry one on the phone.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

I've got a couple of spares - it just hasn't got the PDA style holder for one - oh well not the end of the world, could always use the blunt end of a pen if one is handy :smile:

Debian

I have a HTC Hero, rooted and custom ROM installed. It's still theoretically running Android 1.5 but that's so overlaid with custom software that it's not relevant. It runs the MoDaCo Custom ROM v2.9, the 2.6.27 teknologist v1.9 kernel and 63.18.55.06IU baseband (radio).

It's time I updated further but I ran out of inclination, besides which it now runs like the proverbial off a shovel. It's a great phone, the only better phone is the Nexus One and I can't afford one yet :thumbsup:

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Debian said:
I have a HTC Hero, rooted and custom ROM installed. It's still theoretically running Android 1.5 but that's so overlaid with custom software that it's not relevant. It runs the MoDaCo Custom ROM v2.9, the 2.6.27 teknologist v1.9 kernel and 63.18.55.06IU baseband (radio).

It's time I updated further but I ran out of inclination, besides which it now runs like the proverbial off a shovel. It's a great phone, the only better phone is the Nexus One and I can't afford one yet :biggrin:

Android 2 for the Hero is just around the corner... HTC are releasing it in March.

I am ordering mine on Friday :biggrin:

Top Bottom