VPN for Android and chromebook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrichorwheels

Can anyone recommend one for the above platforms?
Android tab is Android 10
Android smartphone is Android 11 "Go edition".
Chromebook is - well a chromebook.

With such a thing I assume (?) I can sit merrily on public wifi in cafes/pubs/libraries whatever confidently doing financial stuff/buying things?
Am interested in something cheap but good/not compromised - I know you can get VPNs for free but don't trust them.
Needs to work seamlessly across all those platforms (on a single sub of course) though if it helps my Chromebook will run most Android apps.

I think most decent VPNs allow you to pretend to be in a different territory, so that you can watch american cookery progs or whatever, though this is probably a feature I could live without.

Am interested in such a thing as may well be wandering around a bit in the future, may not have ready access to my home internet - so will be scavenging mostly free wifi here and there.

So any recommendations?
Preferably based on personal experience.
Anything else I should think of?

Anything

Seevio

Guru
Nord will do what you ask.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I used Nord for a couple of years and was then seduced with a decent introductory offer for Surfshark.
Both do the job well and can be used on multiple devices (I can't remember how many, but 5 springs to mind on Nord)

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Ta folks.
Must admit had never heard of surfshark, unless it had slipped my goldfish mind. Will check it out, and doubtless be back with more questions.
Other suggestions based on experience welcome

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Surfshark is currently offering a 7 day free trial and a money back offer within 30 days use if you don't get on with it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Make sure your intended provider has RAM servers which don't hold user information rather than the usual hard disc type. That's if you don't want anyone finding out where you bought the Boy Scout uniform and gimp mask.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Make sure your intended provider has RAM servers which don't hold user information rather than the usual hard disc type. That's if you don't want anyone finding out where you bought the Boy Scout uniform and gimp mask.

You've been hacking the non family friendly bit of cchat?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’ve been using NordVPN for almost two years and it is excellent. It’s incredibly simple to install and use and changing country (you have a choice of 60) is done with just two clicks.

I pay on the two-year subscription model which costs ~£70. Paying for a shorter subscription is more expensive.

You can use it on up to 6 devices at a time and Nord claim theirs is the fastest vpn on the planet.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Question on Nord on a chromebook.
I gather that you go to the chrome webstore and add the nordVPN extension (no probs for me- have done this with a few trusted things).
The Nord website says: "the extension will only secure traffic on the chrome browser and will not protect your traffic outside of it".

So maybe dumb maybe nitpicking question = does that mean that as long as I personally start and finish browsing and transactions my end through the chrome browser and don't fire up one of my other browswers I will b? Or does this hint as some security hole downline from me if I am communicating with/transacting with some other system/online application, even if I personally am doing everything via my chrome browser?

On a chromebook, google apps like docs etc are of course accessed through chrome browser tabs.

Top Bottom