VPN for Android and chromebook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Question on Nord on a chromebook.
I gather that you go to the chrome webstore and add the nordVPN extension (no probs for me- have done this with a few trusted things).
The Nord website says: "the extension will only secure traffic on the chrome browser and will not protect your traffic outside of it".

So maybe dumb maybe nitpicking question = does that mean that as long as I personally start and finish browsing and transactions my end through the chrome browser and don't fire up one of my other browswers I will b? Or does this hint as some security hole downline from me if I am communicating with/transacting with some other system/online application, even if I personally am doing everything via my chrome browser?

On a chromebook, google apps like docs etc are of course accessed through chrome browser tabs.

From their help page:

There are two main connection methods you can use to secure your Chromebookwith NordVPN:

1. Download and install the NordVPN Android application.

This is the recommended option as it will secure the entire online traffic on your device.
  2. Download and install the NordVPN Chrome extension.

This is an alternative connection method. However, keep in mind that it will only secure traffic on the Chrome browser and will not protect your traffic outside Chrome.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

This might help you out. It appears that Chromebooks like to use VPN via an extension:
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1282338?hl=en#zippy=

many thanks cycleops - from a very fast skimread of that it seems that the simplest thing maybe to just install the Nord android app on the chromebook and then, if I have read correctly, it will always be on - I already use one or two android apps on the chromebook, including a firefox browser app.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

From their help page:

There are two main connection methods you can use to secure your Chromebookwith NordVPN:

1. Download and install the NordVPN Android application.

This is the recommended option as it will secure the entire online traffic on your device.
  2. Download and install the NordVPN Chrome extension.

This is an alternative connection method. However, keep in mind that it will only secure traffic on the Chrome browser and will not protect your traffic outside Chrome.

many thanks for finding that - am not overimpressed with the nord web page - the (to me) obvious tech questions Q&As etc, seem to be buried all over the place - I would expect them to be foregrounded but the foregrounding all seems to be very general stuff and "buy now" buttons.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Nord VPN query please. I'm wanting to use it for Amazon firestick mostly so we can access more content from the US site. My queries are, does it slow down your oberall connection (we have 150mb at present and need it fast for teenagers gaming)?

Also if I signed up on the laptop or phone, how does it "get" to the firestick? Would I have to download the app through firestick and sign in?

Thanks

Seevio

Guru
My queries are, does it slow down your oberall connection (we have 150mb at present and need it fast for teenagers gaming)?

No. Technically, your network speed is limited by the slowest part but Nord servers can generally handle your 150Mm connection.

Would I have to download the app through firestick and sign in?

Apparently so.

Generally you would install Nord on each device but depending on your router, you may be able to install it on that and cover your entire network.

glasgowcyclist

Nord VPN query please. I'm wanting to use it for Amazon firestick mostly so we can access more content from the US site. My queries are, does it slow down your oberall connection (we have 150mb at present and need it fast for teenagers gaming)?

Also if I signed up on the laptop or phone, how does it "get" to the firestick? Would I have to download the app through firestick and sign in?

Thanks

I can’t answer the Firestick question. I use ChromeCast and cast to that from my Google Nexus or android phone.

While the VPN is active, there is a marked reduction in speed.
See the post below for a comparison:
Tested via Speedtest on my iPad in same room as router:

1st = without NordVPN active

View attachment 696755

2nd = with NordVPN active, set to Italy

View attachment 696756

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ok thanks. It will be in our new house so might see if I can get a free trial when we hopefully move in December. If it slows down too much then it might not be feasible

Seevio

Guru
I realised that I wrote without actually checking. It just seems about the same to me.

So after testing, here are my results.

No VPN:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 185632.png

VPN autoselect UK:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 185915.png

VPN autoselect USA:
Screenshot 2023-10-28 190129.png

An 8.4% slowdown. That would be why I didn't notice anything. I suppose it will depend on which country you connect to.

glasgowcyclist

Ok thanks. It will be in our new house so might see if I can get a free trial when we hopefully move in December. If it slows down too much then it might not be feasible

They’ll definitely do you a 30 day free trial. If you like, I can send you a link that will get you an extra three months of access free if you sign up. I’ll get three extra months too! 😃

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm in need of an American ip for watching tubi TV, are the previous recommendations on here still valid please?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I gave used surshark for the last 4 or 5 years. The longer the contract you take out the cheaper it is. You can change which cities you are seen on from the UK to America, Canada etc. Never had any problems. Good solid VPN

stephec

Legendary Member
Would that be the teletubbies?

I started watching Miami Vice from the beginning with Freevee on Prime, 5 series with around 22 episodes in each one.

I've been watching about 4 or 5 episodes a week, then on Tuesday night I open up the Prime app ready to watch series 3 episode 14 and it's no longer free, now it's buy or rent.

It's been recommended to me that Tubi TV have every episode for free, trouble is that that's only in the USA, so now I need an American IP address to carry on watching it.

Top Bottom