Andy Murray.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I see that the plucky Brit who won Wimbledon and Olympic gold this summer has gone and lost his quarter final match in the US Open, the useless Scottish nobber.

I am no lover of tennis to call him a Scottish nobber is taking it a bit far.He has attempted to come back following his hip injury and operation
Tennis is like many sports is physically demanding.Recvery from hip surgery can be protracted the twists and turns of tennis are going to put a tremendous strain on the hip
Just watched the interview with Murray and looks as though he will make a decision re retirement after his next match
As for him being Scottish was wasn’t several top British cyclists Scots.I wouldn’t risk calling SirChris Hoy a Scottish nobber.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Put it another way. When Murray, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have all retired, in say 3 years time, someone who isn't fit to lace their boots will be world number one. We live in a freaky era of tennis, where most of the world's best ever are all playing at the same time (men's game).

Djokovic is only 31 - plenty of year left !

MikeG

Guru
I am no lover of tennis to call him a Scottish nobber is taking it a bit far.He has attempted to come back following his hip injury and operation
Tennis is like many sports is physically demanding.Recvery from hip surgery can be protracted the twists and turns of tennis are going to put a tremendous strain on the hip
Just watched the interview with Murray and looks as though he will make a decision re retirement after his next match
As for him being Scottish was wasn’t several top British cyclists Scots.I wouldn’t risk calling SirChris Hoy a Scottish nobber.

I think you may have missed the deliberate humour and irony in this very old post.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Errm, you missed the Scottish humour in my post then?
The British press always refer to him as a plucky BRIT when he is doing well. When he's getting beaten, he reverts to being referred to as SCOTTISH. HTH...

PS... Check my location, my blood is tartan!

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Murray will be missed. It wasn't long ago that it was a cause for celebration if a Brit got to the second round of a Grand Slam.
Murray was a great tactician, he had no massive shot, and as a result had to work himself and his opponent more through shot placement. That makes for good viewing.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sad day for tennis.
Us British Are very proud of him @Brandane :laugh:
apparently tennis is the crime scam leader in the betting league in the lower ranks.
Such a shame that gambling is ruining the game and games..

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
If, say, for the sake of argument, you were the third best time trialist in the history of cycling and your career spanned the 2000s, and the best two cycled in the 1990s, you would have been world number one for a decade. If, however, you just happened to have been born 10 years earlier, you would have never got to higher than world number 3.

Put it another way. When Murray, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have all retired, in say 3 years time, someone who isn't fit to lace their boots will be world number one. We live in a freaky era of tennis, where most of the world's best ever are all playing at the same time (men's game).

And yet another way - imagine Lewis Hamilton lining up on the grid alongside Schumacher, Prost and Senna in every race.

Levo-Lon

Guru
And yet another way - imagine Lewis Hamilton lining up on the grid alongside Schumacher, Prost and Senna in every race.

Pizz all over them in them old cars:whistle:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sad day for tennis.
Us British Are very proud of him @Brandane :laugh:
apparently tennis is the crime scam leader in the betting league in the lower ranks.
Such a shame that gambling is ruining the game and games..
Any sport where only 2 people play is very easy to manipulate. See boxing and Snooker.

MikeG

Guru
At that level of tennis most players struggle to make a living so the temptation is there.

At Murray's level? No, they're all super-rich. Number 200 in the world is rich. Players you have never heard of are filthy rich. But couldn't we have a conversation about someone who most definitely isn't cheating without talking about cheating?

gbb

Legendary Member
Murrays a strange one, he is t really my cup of tea, a bit too much angst and frustration on the court, but I suppose that's what makes him him. As my late dad once said...and it's been said since, had three of the other finest players the world has possibly ever seen, all not been around at the same time as him, he'd have been No1 for a long time. I'm not really a tennis fan but this last period has been a truly golden one for player quality.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
2016 was his greatest achievement.
Final of the Australian
Final of the French
Won Wimbledon
Won Olympics
Won the world tour final.

An amazing achievement in anyone’s book. And as a coincidence that year the other three great players all had injury issues. So it shows differences it makes.

Top Bottom