Andy Murray.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Murrays a strange one, he is t really my cup of tea,

It always makes me laugh when people have this opinion about Andy Murray. I wonder how different they might have been had they seen and heard friends and schoolmates shot dead in their presence and faced all the follow-on from that disaster in a tight-knit town shattered by a despicable event?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Probably Britain's finest ever sportsman to date.

Wilson.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
At Murray's level? No, they're all super-rich. Number 200 in the world is rich. Players you have never heard of are filthy rich. But couldn't we have a conversation about someone who most definitely isn't cheating without talking about cheating?

I was bored so I had a look at this. The 200 ranked tennis player is most definitely not rich. In fact he is probably losing money just to remain a professional player

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/arthur-de-greef/d981/player-activity

$56k winnings in 2018, from which he has to pay all his travel etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
It always makes me laugh when people have this opinion about Andy Murray. I wonder how different they might have been had they seen and heard friends and schoolmates shot dead in their presence and faced all the follow-on from that disaster in a tight-knit town shattered by a despicable event?
But he's a perfectly ok guy on camera, in interviews etc etc, that's why I made the distinction about his behaviour on court. He's a bit McEnroe, a bit much for me on court but a nice fella off it. That what makes them them of couree....but it's not my cup of tea. My opinion and I'm entitled to it :okay:

I was bored so I had a look at this. The 200 ranked tennis player is most definitely not rich. In fact he is probably losing money just to remain a professional player

I chose to look at Dustin Brown's earnings. Highest he was ranked no. 64 in the world, currently no. 224.

There are some interesting comments on this tennis forum I stumbled across.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

MikeG

Guru

You don't think that prize money is their sole source of income do you? Have you checked how much support he gets from his national tennis association, and how much personal sponsorship he gets? Appearance money, too. He won't be losing money.

AndyRM

XOXO
You don't think that prize money is their sole source of income do you? Have you checked how much support he gets from his national tennis association, and how much personal sponsorship he gets? Appearance money, too. He won't be losing money.

I reckon his tennis association will cover travel, accommodation and tournament fees. His sponsors might chuck him a pair trainers and a racquet occasionally.

Losing money? Unlikely.

Rich? Sliding scale I suppose, but also unlikely.

I am not Scottish before people start playing the parochial card but I feel sure if he had been English he wouldn't have so many detractors.

Let's face it if he had won it in 1966 with some dodgy line calls, spectators invading the court and match venues switched to suit him we'd still be having it shoved down our throats at every opportunity.

I think some of the people criticising Andy should ask themselves what did they achieve?

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Is that it then?

I hope so - if he is really that broken I don't think he should put himself through months of pain to go out in the first or second round of Wimbledon. I think he would be better off sitting on one of the comfy chairs with the toffs and famous and then signing off by presenting the trophy the junior winners.

Top Bottom