Andy Murray.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Brandane, 8 Sep 2016.

1. meta lon

meta lon Guru

there right up there,but tennis is king atm

2. LarryDuff

LarryDuff Veteran

At that level of tennis most players struggle to make a living so the temptation is there.

3. MikeG

MikeG Guru

At Murray's level? No, they're all super-rich. Number 200 in the world is rich. Players you have never heard of are filthy rich. But couldn't we have a conversation about someone who most definitely isn't cheating without talking about cheating?

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  4. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Murrays a strange one, he is t really my cup of tea, a bit too much angst and frustration on the court, but I suppose that's what makes him him. As my late dad once said...and it's been said since, had three of the other finest players the world has possibly ever seen, all not been around at the same time as him, he'd have been No1 for a long time. I'm not really a tennis fan but this last period has been a truly golden one for player quality.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  5. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

2016 was his greatest achievement.
    Final of the Australian
    Final of the French
    Won Wimbledon
    Won Olympics
    Won the world tour final.

An amazing achievement in anyone’s book. And as a coincidence that year the other three great players all had injury issues. So it shows differences it makes.

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  6. Slick

Slick Veteran

Probably Britain's finest ever sportsman to date.

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  7. PaulB

PaulB Guru

It always makes me laugh when people have this opinion about Andy Murray. I wonder how different they might have been had they seen and heard friends and schoolmates shot dead in their presence and faced all the follow-on from that disaster in a tight-knit town shattered by a despicable event?

Slow But Determined and Beebo like this.
  8. Mugshot

Mugshot Guru

Wilson.jpg

Kempstonian, Milkfloat, Drago and 4 others like this.
  9. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

Ha

Haha

ah

Haha

Oh... my ribs

Slick and kevin_cambs_uk like this.
  10. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

I was bored so I had a look at this. The 200 ranked tennis player is most definitely not rich. In fact he is probably losing money just to remain a professional player

https://www.atptour.com/en/players/arthur-de-greef/d981/player-activity

$56k winnings in 2018, from which he has to pay all his travel etc.

11. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

But he's a perfectly ok guy on camera, in interviews etc etc, that's why I made the distinction about his behaviour on court. He's a bit McEnroe, a bit much for me on court but a nice fella off it. That what makes them them of couree....but it's not my cup of tea. My opinion and I'm entitled to it :okay:

Dayvo likes this.
  12. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I chose to look at Dustin Brown's earnings. Highest he was ranked no. 64 in the world, currently no. 224.

There are some interesting comments on this tennis forum I stumbled across.

13. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

And the 2000th best football player in the world will be earning at least £1million pa.
    Silly isn’t.

14. MikeG

MikeG Guru

You don't think that prize money is their sole source of income do you? Have you checked how much support he gets from his national tennis association, and how much personal sponsorship he gets? Appearance money, too. He won't be losing money.

15. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

I reckon his tennis association will cover travel, accommodation and tournament fees. His sponsors might chuck him a pair trainers and a racquet occasionally.

Losing money? Unlikely.

Rich? Sliding scale I suppose, but also unlikely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice