Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After all that excitement, things have calmed down a bit. However I have made...

2024_02_08_wall_01.jpg

A wall.

Try to contain your excitement.

Meanwhile, after much dithering, the second police car is finally nearing completion. I am a possible contender for the most inefficient model maker of the year award...

RNAS_Police_15.jpg

biketrailerguy

Yes. most of my models are from bits of plastic, brass, card, guitar strings, and occasionally things like a milk carton lid

As this is from a 4yr + old post, things may well have changed somewhat - but the fairly eclectic mix of materials resonated a little.
Whilst I haven't made a 'model'* since my teen yrs - many decades ago - I do still use my hands to make things when suitably inspired and / or enthused.
As such, I also collect items - preferably discarded / unwanted etc - when they cross my path.
Considering the scale being used, I wondered if a couple of such resources might be of use to you?

Aluminium printing plate / sheet - 0.15 and 0.3mm thick
1mm square brass wire.

If you've not used the sheet (all flat, btw, not rolled), it's very easy to work / cut or score etc - and you get a metallic finish for free, of course.
The wire offers opportunities for creating 'edged' items that round wire doesn't - with all the usual advantages of ease of work and soldering.

If of interest / use and you want some bits to mess around with / try - drop me a line.
No ££ involved.

Btw, thinking about 'scratch building' - I'd recommend googling 'A4Garage' sometime - a S.Korean guy building 1/24 plastic car kits - but with something of a difference as he's scratch building items that aren't in the kit - ranging from working door hinges to complete engines.
I'm not really a model car fan either - but can't help but admire the results.

*started with boats at about 9/10
Then R/C boats, finally aircraft.
Never been interested in trains / locos etc.

As this is from a 4yr + old post, things may well have changed somewhat - but the fairly eclectic mix of materials resonated a little.
Whilst I haven't made a 'model'* since my teen yrs - many decades ago - I do still use my hands to make things when suitably inspired and / or enthused.
As such, I also collect items - preferably discarded / unwanted etc - when they cross my path.
Considering the scale being used, I wondered if a couple of such resources might be of use to you?

Aluminium printing plate / sheet - 0.15 and 0.3mm thick
1mm square brass wire.

If you've not used the sheet (all flat, btw, not rolled), it's very easy to work / cut or score etc - and you get a metallic finish for free, of course.
The wire offers opportunities for creating 'edged' items that round wire doesn't - with all the usual advantages of ease of work and soldering.

If of interest / use and you want some bits to mess around with / try - drop me a line.
No ££ involved.

Btw, thinking about 'scratch building' - I'd recommend googling 'A4Garage' sometime - a S.Korean guy building 1/24 plastic car kits - but with something of a difference as he's scratch building items that aren't in the kit - ranging from working door hinges to complete engines.
I'm not really a model car fan either - but can't help but admire the results.

*started with boats at about 9/10
Then R/C boats, finally aircraft.
Never been interested in trains / locos etc.

Hi @biketrailerguy. Thanks for the thoughts, unfortunately these days postage and possible customs costs would be potentially expensive.

The more models I make, the more I realise I just like telling stories; I'm going back to my roots in theatre I guess.

Completed police car:

2024_02_27_RNAS_Police_Car_Finished_sml.jpg

As it is supposed to be part of the 'Royal Naval Air Service' the colours are loosely based on the Royal Air Force Police colours, with a yellow roof added because it will be going air side a lot.
I suspect the vehicles on Ascension are a motley lot brought over when other more 'important' places upgraded. After all, why do they need good cars when the island is 8 miles long?

Last edited:
Top Bottom