Angry threats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Folks, have a look at all of my videos. Exclude all of the videos that are of people on mobile phones, people weeing in the gutter, pedestrians walking out in front of me (surely I can't be blamed for that!), cars/cyclists running red lights, pavement cyclists, poor cycling by cyclists....

Then how many videos are we left with which could be called an incident where I could possibly (even remotely possibly) been at fault.

I've had a count (bit more detailed and probably accurate than previous).

I have 51 videos in total (not all public). Of those 22 are incidents as described above. In only 5 videos did I receive abuse from a driver. 3 of those was because I asked them why they had driven the way they did. (at no point did I swear at them). The other 2 were completely unprovoked.

I started recording using my ATC at the start of February 2007. Therefore I have had a camera for just approaching 16 months. I cycle 5 days a week, although I do have the odd day off here and there. I have 6 weeks holiday a year (I only took 5 last year) so assuming on average I cycle 4 days a week when I am at work (conservative) I have probably cycles to and from work approximately 346 times. This works out that I have an incident every 142 miles of urban cycling. Of course as Mike has suggested in nearly all of these incidents I had the situation under control and was not in danger of injury. These are probably the sort of incidents, had I not videoed them that I would have forgot about them. I post them so I and everyone else can learn from them.

This works out at 6.4% of my commutes where I have an incident that I post on the web. In fact if you consider that I actually have two commutes a day (to and from work) that means 3.2%.

5 incidents of abuse gives 1.4% (dual commute figure of 0.7%).

So for those who suggest that I have loads of incidents, have a look at the figures. Would you agree they tell a different story?

It really annoys me (I don't take it personally or hold it against anyone but...) when people suggest that I am at fault for incidents where I am taking a central road position. Forget the reasoning behind it, even if there was no reason, any driver who comes across a cyclist in the middle of the road should deal with it without having to resort to endangering a cyclist. Suggesting that I am at fault, just for being where I am, is providing drivers with an excuse for driving poorly.

So can I ask my detractors to take a look at my figures and let me know how they can justify the tag that I am having an excessive amount of incidents.

Bah humbug...........;):tongue:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Oh, you and your figures, eh? :tongue:

Who needs figures when they're on a forum berating someone else's actions?? ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Oh, you and your figures, eh? :tongue:

Who needs figures when they're on a forum berating someone else's actions?? ;)

Remember I am a physicist. I could have produced graphs and complex equations (well I could of if I was any good with equations!). In fact, I think I can prove that col is a partial derivative of domtyler.....:smile:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I too am a Physicist, and I'll wager he's actually a sinusoidal wave traversing across Dom's brain at his body's resonant frequency, thus effecting what Dom says and does on an everyday basis.

Think about it, it explains a lot... ;)

col

Legendary Member
Mag,im not saying your wrong,just that some styles of riding can make drivers feel they are being held up without good reason or intent,which i feel raises their temperature.Also,if i had been shouted at a few times,it would make me rethink my riding style?What do you think?Or am i going to regret asking:biggrin:

Just caught the partial derivative bit,very good:laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sh4rkyBloke said:
I too am a Physicist, and I'll wager he's actually a sinusoidal wave traversing across Dom's brain at his body's resonant frequency, thus effecting what Dom says and does on an everyday basis.

Think about it, it explains a lot... :eek:

Oh yes. Quite relevant to some of my work actually. col is a dielectric standing wave resulting in significant inhomogeneities within Doms brain. This could be corrected by applying dielectric pads on the outside of his head (possibly with force;))

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Mag,im not saying your wrong,just that some styles of riding can make drivers feel they are being held up without good reason or intent,which i feel raises their temperature.Also,if i had been shouted at a few times,it would make me rethink my riding style?What do you think?Or am i going to regret asking:biggrin:

But do you agree that the perception of me being continually involved in incidents isn't borne out by the numbers?

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
But do you agree that the perception of me being continually involved in incidents isn't borne out by the numbers?

The numbers dont matter really,what does is that you seem to get shouted at and threatened,more than most.Iv never had that,so i can only conclude that its the difference in our riding style?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Sorry col, I didn't answer your question there. I will not change my cycling style, because the fault does not lie with me. It is a minority of drivers who can't cope with what is actually taught nationally as safe cycling. That is not being pig headed. My logic is, that I am safer that way. Just listen to the reports of cyclists being killed. Rare, but it does happen. Cycling as I do, mitigates this. Yes it may irritate some idiots, but I will not compromise my safety for idiots. If they are irritated by me (remember only a minority are), then they have seen me.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
The numbers dont matter really,what does is that you seem to get shouted at and threatened,more than most.Iv never had that,so i can only conclude that its the difference in our riding style?

Of course the numbers matter. You are saying that I get shouted at more than most! I have provided figures that in fact I have been shouted at 5 times in 16 months, and only two of them when I was in motion. How can you possibly say, looking at the figures which don't lie, that I get shouted at more than most?

Do you have figures for how often most get shouted at?

MERV

col said:

Basically I try and keep out of the way if possible and most of the time it works.

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Sorry col, I didn't answer your question there. I will not change my cycling style, because the fault does not lie with me. It is a minority of drivers who can't cope with what is actually taught nationally as safe cycling. That is not being pig headed. My logic is, that I am safer that way. Just listen to the reports of cyclists being killed. Rare, but it does happen. Cycling as I do, mitigates this. Yes it may irritate some idiots, but I will not compromise my safety for idiots. If they are irritated by me (remember only a minority are), then they have seen me.

Thats my point too,you wont change style because its not your fault.I understand your stance,but i have adapted my style to coexist relatively peacefully on the road,and im sure you will still be seen.Giving way and letting pass,or even asking a driver to let you go with a point and thumbs up will probably make you still visible,but in their eyes,in a positive way,and it wont cross thier minds,why is he blocking my way?Like you said,some are ignorant of the reasons you do certain things,so if your sticking to your guns,then expect more shouting,its that simple.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Thats my point too,you wont change style because its not your fault.I understand your stance,but i have adapted my style to coexist relatively peacefully on the road,and im sure you will still be seen.Giving way and letting pass,or even asking a driver to let you go with a point and thumbs up will probably make you still visible,but in their eyes,in a positive way,and it wont cross thier minds,why is he blocking my way?Like you said,some are ignorant of the reasons you do certain things,so if your sticking to your guns,then expect more shouting,its that simple.

Fair enough, but you are putting yourself at increased risk by doing so. That is a compromise that I am not willing to make and should not be expected to make.

I'll ask it one more time col, do you agree that the perception that I am involved in a lot of incidents, looking at the figures, is wrong? Yes or no!

Top Bottom