Angry threats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
To do so at Magnatom's speed is certainly possible, but that's beyond what I and I think most other cyclists would consider reasonable behaviour to allow cars past. There's very little time and space in any of the video in his OP to allow an overtake, and it would mean slowing to a complete stop.

Yes i would say it is possible too:biggrin:A complete stop?Not really;)I also dont see it as unreasonable,but then it springs to mind a previous argument,who are we to think we shouldnt be delayed a few seconds?There isnt really an argument here,mag prefers to hold his line and speed,which he has every right to,i will give way,and slow if needed.Who gets the temper flares and shouted at?It seems to me that if everyone was willing to use the roads in a more giving way,it would be a safer place.And im sure if i slow to do this,it doesnt add much to my journey in time taken?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
magnatom said:
It's certainly an option Mike, but I actually find Mr_hippos posts mildly entertaining. Not quite up to bonj standard (his early days standard) but none the less entertaining!

He's on my ignore list too - along with simoncc - they are the only ones, and from the look of it, I made the right decision.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You're assuming Magnatom gets more abuse and dangerous driving than you do, but I wonder if that's really true since I doubt either of you collect any data or ride in the same situations? I know that I get less of both when I ride more assertively for the most part.

Besides which, if I had a choice, I'd take the abuse rather than dangerous incidents that threaten my life, and that's what Magnatom's strategy is all about.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
You're assuming Magnatom gets more abuse and dangerous driving than you do, but I wonder if that's really true since I doubt either of you collect any data or ride in the same situations? I know that I get less of both when I ride more assertively for the most part.

Besides which, if I had a choice, I'd take the abuse rather than dangerous incidents that threaten my life, and that's what Magnatom's strategy is all about.

Not assuming anything BM,why do you assume that?Im going on what he has posted on youtube,and commented on here.As for me,well i havnt had any of what mag has had,and i do use busy roads,sometimes not,roundabouts,and fast ones too,really very similar to what most people use,but i think my style of riding is not the same,i wont hold a line,if i feel it could annoy or agravate and i could let something pass,i put myself at the wheel,and wonder what i would make of it?I also ride assertively when the need arises,but im not fixed on my rights,and dont assume that all vehicles are impatient to pass,but i still give them the opertunity if i can.Im worried about your style,if you feel your life is threatened on a regular basis,something is wrong if you feel your life is in danger?
What i have noticed a lot,is the people who say they had a dangerous incident,are the ones with cams a lot of the time,and generally have the stick to your guns attitude,which i feel can cause annoyance to drivers if its not odvious why.Im not saying thats wrong,just an observation.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
magnatom said:
I think I understand this now (despite your very poor explanation) You think I waited until the car came around to see it pass again. No I did not. As I mention in the video I was turning right at this junction, into the side street. That is the street he goes down. I follow and I see him turn right and then in the distance as I continue to cycle, in my direction, I see him turn right again. I'll admit I assume that he turns right again, but I don't think that is a huge leap to make.
My poor explanation? It's made from your direct quotes! From my post - your quotes are in bold type:-

If you did not wait, please explain:- "...he then went down a side street to loop back around to carry on in his original direction." and is that the same as:- "After he drove away he actually did a big circle to go back the way he was originally heading (I didn't quite catch that on camera)."

Have I got this right? You have turned right into a side street. OK so far, next we have "I was turning right at this junction, into the side street. That is the street he goes down." i.e. the same street! So from the main road, he reverses and goes down the same street as you then you say " I follow and I see him turn right" So somewhere along the street he overtakes you because you said 'I follow...'. Are you related to either Walter Mitty or Tom Pepper?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
What did he actually say? All I can hear is you shouting 'why did you toot me?'

He said he would punch me off my bike in a perticularly agressive manner. Listen to the video it is pretty clear (all be it in a Glasgow accent!)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

mr_hippo said:
My poor explanation? It's made from your direct quotes! From my post - your quotes are in bold type:-

If you did not wait, please explain:- "...he then went down a side street to loop back around to carry on in his original direction." and is that the same as:- "After he drove away he actually did a big circle to go back the way he was originally heading (I didn't quite catch that on camera)."

Have I got this right? You have turned right into a side street. OK so far, next we have "I was turning right at this junction, into the side street. That is the street he goes down." i.e. the same street! So from the main road, he reverses and goes down the same street as you then you say " I follow and I see him turn right" So somewhere along the street he overtakes you because you said 'I follow...'. Are you related to either Walter Mitty or Tom Pepper?

Eh?

You have managed to get yourself in a complete cufudle! (mmmm, have I invented a new word?) Everything I have said makes complete sense. Why would he have to overtake me? He passes me at the end of the video and goes down the side street. As simple as that. And no. I am not related to you! ;)

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Eh?

You have managed to get yourself in a complete cufudle! (mmmm, have I invented a new word?) Everything I have said makes complete sense. Why would he have to overtake me? He passes me at the end of the video and goes down the side street. As simple as that. And no. I am not related to you! ;)

I think you're looking for KERFUFFLE. A lovely word and a lexicographer's favourite...

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
He said he would punch me off my bike in a perticularly agressive manner. Listen to the video it is pretty clear (all be it in a Glasgow accent!)

The only thing that looks to have caused this threat is that he felt you were blocking his way,Im not saying your wrong,just that its something to think about?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
magnatom said:
You have managed to get yourself in a complete cufudle! (mmmm, have I invented a new word?) Everything I have said makes complete sense. Why would he have to overtake me? He passes me at the end of the video and goes down the side street. As simple as that.
You have finally flipped and tied yourself in knots! Complete sense? Complete nonsense! Try re-reading your posts.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've come late to this thread, and haven't watched the clip, but I'd just like to confirm that I idolise magnatom so much, I keep a photo of his brain under my pillow....

;);)

I'll bugger off again now...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hmm, I think you're simply writing off and ignoring dangerous incidents and abuse, because I'm simply not believing that you don't get them to a roughly similar ratio that the rest of us do.

Top Bottom