Angry threats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Watching the vid,the only thing i can think of that might have annoyed them,is you held primary,even when there was a couple of places you could have moved over to let them pass?So getting the reaction possibly?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Watching the vid,the only thing i can think of that might have annoyed them,is you held primary,even when there was a couple of places you could have moved over to let them pass?So getting the reaction possibly?

Hi Col,

Haven't disagreed heard from you in a while ;).

Where could I have pulled over? I move at a fair pace and by the time I move in, it would have been time to move back out again. Also note the big green bus up ahead that would have blocked him anyway.

Nah. I think it was just his time of the month.....:biggrin:

MERV

col said:

Ok I know im not perfect with my road positioning...(I've been told many times) but I do actually believe that sometimes primary is not always the answer.Yes I know nor is secondary/defensive.

col

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Hi Col,

Haven't disagreed heard from you in a while ;).

Where could I have pulled over? I move at a fair pace and by the time I move in, it would have been time to move back out again. Also note the big green bus up ahead that would have blocked him anyway.

Nah. I think it was just his time of the month.....:biggrin:

Iv been working new hours ,and tend to just lurk a lot now:smile:
I know to keep your pace it means not moving into gaps that would mean pulling out again in a couple of seconds,but crossing the roundabout,i would have been on the left of the lane and secondary as i exited too,giving them a chance to pass maybe,and a little further there seemed to be a gap long enough to let them pass,but only if your not wanting to keep the pace granted,but something i would probably have done.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
MERV said:
Ok I know im not perfect with my road positioning...(I've been told many times) but I do actually believe that sometimes primary is not always the answer.Yes I know nor is secondary/defensive.

Some of us might even believe that most of the time it's not the right place to be. Especially not if filtering past hundreds and hundreds of cars in the queue. Most of my commute doesn't demand primary, but some of it does! ;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

col said:
Iv been working new hours ,and tend to just lurk a lot now:smile:
I know to keep your pace it means not moving into gaps that would mean pulling out again in a couple of seconds,but crossing the roundabout,i would have been on the left of the lane and secondary as i exited too,giving them a chance to pass maybe,and a little further there seemed to be a gap long enough to let them pass,but only if your not wanting to keep the pace granted,but something i would probably have done.

There is no way I would take a secondary position on that roundabout. I would get squeezed. I would also have to negotiate my way back to primary at the pinch point at the exit of the roundabout. Not a particularly safe maneuver. I'd much rather annoy someone behind me than risk being squeezed at the exit of the roundabout!!;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Col, I think in this specific example you would be riding too submissively and risking more incidents than Magnatom with your suggested strategy. This is defo a case where Magnatom is right to take the lane.

col

Legendary Member
Im not saying he is wrong,just i would do it differently,i would slow and let someone right behind me pass at those two points i mention,if they were not right behind i wouldnt.Being right doesnt mean its the best way.;)Even at two into one laners i look back,and get the go ahead of the car behind,no grief,just a polite gesture,same on roundabouts,ill look and get a wave on after i point where i want to be and give a thumbs up ,saves loads of friction,and cancels out temper flares.It does mean i slow regularly to do these things,but i am the slower vehicle,and think i should allow faster ones to pass when i can,iv never had a bad word yet.;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's why I said in this specific example. If I were riding a lot slower, I might well pull to the side, but that's plainly not a good idea at Magnatom's speed. I don't mind compromising my progress on the road a little to make it easier for someone else, but there are limits to how much delay I'll inflict on myself when it's only to assuage the impatience of a motorist behind, who'll pass me anyway in a few seconds and is unlikely to have lost any time overall.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
That's why I said in this specific example. If I were riding a lot slower, I might well pull to the side, but that's plainly not a good idea at Magnatom's speed. I don't mind compromising my progress on the road a little to make it easier for someone else, but there are limits to how much delay I'll inflict on myself when it's only to assuage the impatience of a motorist behind, who'll pass me anyway in a few seconds and is unlikely to have lost any time overall.

I dont think it would be difficult to slow"at mags speed":biggrin: it isnt warp you know.;)but like iv said,i dont mind slowing to let a vehicle close behind me pass,its the staying in the middle of the road that causes flare ups i think,even if the car is going to be held up later,that isnt the point really.;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
To do so at Magnatom's speed is certainly possible, but that's beyond what I and I think most other cyclists would consider reasonable behaviour to allow cars past. There's very little time and space in any of the video in his OP to allow an overtake, and it would mean slowing to a complete stop.

Top Bottom