Ankle cuffs to stop water getting into boots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Someone on here posted a link to a page with what appeared to be wetsuit type ankle cuffs made of rubber or neoprene to create a seal around the ankle so water can't get into your waterproof boots. For the life of me I can't find it, just been out for a ride and got soaked and realise I need a pair :hyper: There were dead cheap, too!

Anyone have a clue?

Norm

I think that they are called "overshoes". There's plenty of information on CC about them.

HTH :hyper:

Fiona N

Veteran
Hi Dodgy
I don't know whether it might be me (or one of my posts, rather) but I made a pair of small neoprene ankle 'gaiters' or cuffs to seal of the tops of walking boots originally, then found they also worked really well on winter cycling boots or overboots to stop water running down my skin, wetting socks and hence the inside of the boots. The neoprene is bought from Pennine Outdoor fabrics (it comes in 10cm wide strips about 1 m long, pretty cheap) along with velcro. I reckon you can guess the rest.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Hi Fiona, you know what? That sounds familiar, maybe it was you that mentioned it! I'll check Pennine Outdoor out, thanks ;)

Fiona N

Veteran
Yes - there are a couple of modifications I made to the Mark II pair:
I tapered the neoprene so that the edge which went on the skin was shorter - hence tighter than the boot edge (obvious really) and I put a short strip of the hook side of the velcro on the inside front of the gaiter so that it gripped onto the front of the boot/sock/whatever and didn't ride up - always a tendency with elastic stuff.

I've got a photo but uploading here seems oddly difficult, seemingly assuming everyone uses Flickr or similar ;)

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Fiona N

Veteran
album.php
Whoops something went wrong there with the photo effort

album.php
misc

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was busy inventing this idea on my way home... well I had got as far as the fact that my coat needed some kind of extra cuff to stop the rain running down into my gloves.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use the wrist sections cut off a pair of Marigold washing up gloves.
Even cheaper, no postage or delay, and less bulky too.

longers

Legendary Member
^ I've done that on your recommendation. Not had a chance to use them in the rain yet, I thought my luck was going to be in today but it never came to much.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

andrew_s said:
I use the wrist sections cut off a pair of Marigold washing up gloves.
Even cheaper, no postage or delay, and less bulky too.

I like that idea, but yellow bands on my lower legs would make me look even weirder than I do already in lycra:ohmy:

Top Bottom