Ankle ligament repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Blimey, get as much good work done now as you can. No fun approaching 70 with more major knife-work in prospect...
On the other hand, there's really only so much one can do.
I'll need at least one new knee long before 70 :laugh:

more major knife-work
Trouble is with orthopaedics, it's never actually just knife work, but major carpentry with power tools.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Blimey, get as much good work done now as you can. No fun approaching 70 with more major knife-work in prospect...
On the other hand, there's really only so much one can do.
50 here and I’ll be looking forward to titanium knee I’m sure in the not too distant future! :rolleyes: . Got pain in my left hip as well now. Just a wee niggle . Hate to think that’s OA as well :sad: . The price I’ve paid for a lifetime of being very active and sporty.

I'm approaching 75 and had a serious knee injury in my early 20s - which was treated at the hospital I was working, in Innsbruck, and I'm 100% certain that if it'd been treated in any country where skiing injuries weren't as common, I would now be on my second or third knee or have the joint fused. As it is, it's still functional without too much bother although post-traumatic arthritis is taking its toll. Nothing I can't cope with, though. The achilles tendon that 'went' a few years ago when I was chasing a dog downhill on a steep, wet and slippery slope gives me more trouble BUT the cycling is helping both it and the knee, more than I expected!

It remains to be seen how much strength returns in that leg - very little so far! - but it is already behaving in a more stable fashion. The issue of returning strength is doubtful, even though it's early days yet, and might well see me getting an electric conversion kit by, say, next spring. Getting up even slight hills - which is all we have round here in the flatlands - is very hard work when only one leg can push effectively and the other is somewhat of a passenger when any real effort is required.

Over fifty years ago when I injured my knee, I remember the radiologist, the plaster technician, the orthopaedist and the physio all united in saying 'What a pity you didn't just break it instead of shredding your soft tissue - it'd've healed much better and faster!'

Best of luck and good healing vibes to all who face major repair surgery!

Weird on scans my knees show moderate OA. But get hardly any pain.

Returning to cycling after a few months off with a mysterious groin injury I noticed my knees were sore after a ride. But now I've built my mileage and presumably strength up any pain has gone. Strengthening the surrounding muscles must have helped.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't know. I was quoting the report which described moderate OA.
MRI or Xray. Probably grade 2ish so if the bone isn’t affected and there’s not load of inflammation and swelling, you might not have pain :okay: especially if it’s not on a weight bearing surface (my knee cap and groove is pretty shot but I rarely get kneecap pain, the weight bearing bits can be a different matter, eg I cannot kneel at all!)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
50 here and I’ll be looking forward to titanium knee I’m sure in the not too distant future! :rolleyes: . Got pain in my left hip as well now. Just a wee niggle . Hate to think that’s OA as well :sad: . The price I’ve paid for a lifetime of being very active and sporty.

Being active is not a known cause of OA.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Being active is not a known cause of OA.
Yep being a footballer in my younger years has taken its toll on my joints. Besides hospital scan confirmed OA in my knee. I’m also aware of two ex colleagues who have had both hips replaced. One was a very good swimmer in their early days and the other ran a lot of marathons ! Joints worn out !

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yep being a footballer in my younger years has taken its toll on my joints. Besides hospital scan confirmed OA in my knee. I’m also aware of two ex colleagues who have had both hips replaced. One was a very good swimmer in their early days and the other ran a lot of marathons ! Joints worn out !

Injuries are a known cause. But that’s not an inevitable outcome of being active.

• joint injury – overusing your joint when it has not had enough time to heal after an injury or operation

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
NWB exercise like swimming, cycling, rowing good for weight maintenance, fitness and joints :okay:
Well…….. I’m doing weight maintenance alright lol . Maintaining my fat stores lol. However I know I could do with losing a stone or two , that should help with my knee etc. It’s harder as your get older !!

Top Bottom