Ankles are hurting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
After doing my first ever 100 miles just over a week ago, my right ankle hurts whenever I start pedalling! It was hurting at the end of the 100 mile ride infact both of them where quite painfull, but it is the right one that is now giving me pain. After a mile or so it seems to loosen up and is ok after that, but will hurt again the next time I get on the bike. Is it ligament damage? Lactic acid build up or what do you think?

Any ideas.

DJ

Fiona N

Veteran
If it's still hurting a week after the century, it's definitely not lactic acid. It's more likely that there's a problem with your foot position which is causing pain around the ankle. This can be either because the ligaments in the ankle are being wrongly loaded by the poor foot position (e.g. if you have flat feet which cause the ankles to role inwards as you push on the pedals) or due to pressure on nerves under the feet which is felt around the ankle - this could be due to shoes not being supportive enough so that in a long ride, there's too much pressure around the ball of the foot/toes.
You don't specify where the pain is so it's difficult to be more helpful.
It may be worth seeing a podiatrist to check out your feet/shoes, especially if you're going to be doing longer distances.
Care and attention now could prevent some chronic injury further down the line.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Now I think about it, are the soles of your shoes rigid or flexible?

I found since going clipless I don't keep re-positioning my feet and my soles are rigid and my feet well supported.

Previously I wore soft soled shoes in toe clips and when pushing hard I would 'grip' the pedals, arching my foot which would give me ankle pain after long runs.

Time to go clipless methinks?:biggrin:

Radius

SHREDDER
Alternatively David, I recently bought some shoes I was telling Dom about, which basically look like them skateboarding ones (DC Shoes etc), but have hidden away spaces for cleats in the bottom. They can be worn completely as normal shoes, but are very stiff and supportive when riding the bike. Something like that (but with old-person styling) might be good if you really don't want to go clipless (although it is definitely recommended) :biggrin:

Top Bottom