Annoyed with myself. Saw someone stealing a bike. Didn't do anything

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A perfect example of a moderator at work.......

FTFY.

Oxo

Guru
Sorry guys, I know it was late last night but my post was a friendly pith take! I shall flagellate myself severely for wrongly getting you all concerned.
Don't worry we weren't at all concerned, we all know you are big enough to look after yourself

Johnno260

Veteran
So bassically I got the bus to meet my dad in town. When the bus approached the train station (I was sat at the top it was a double decker bus) I noticed that there were two older teenagers/young adults (in hoodies) trying to pull a bike of the racks. (They were racks not stands) They both seemed to be helping each other. When I saw this I was going to get off (Even though it wasn't my stop) but annoyingly I didn't press stop button in time. So I didn't do anything. Is there anything I should of done? Should I do anything now/next time in town even though I'm not in that area anymore.

Sad fact is getting out and confronting them could lead to you becoming a statistic, you don't know if they were carrying something as a weapon etc.

Call 101 in the future, don't expect a great response time, my wife had to call 999 when witnessing an physical assault and had to wait close to 45mins.

CUBE CRD

Two people trying to wrestle a locked bike from a stand and you reckon it's legit?

Of course you can argue the other point of view,but seriously?

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Two people trying to wrestle a locked bike from a stand and you reckon it's legit?

Of course you can argue the other point of view,but seriously?
Exactly
1. you wouldn't loose a key because if you know you've locked your bike up you would keep hold of the key. Common sense. Also that when the bus was going to the next stop that the old teens/young adults noticed it and stopped what they were doing and then I could tell from back of the bus when it went out they continued.

@jefmcg and @Johnno260

You guys confuse me I thought you only call 999 if there's a threat to someone's life otherwise 101. ? (If I saw it happening again I would actual get off and just walk around the area not saying anything so I could take a closer look and stay In the same area. )

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I had a fridge magnet from local police that said:

My house is being burgled - Call 999
My house has been burgled - Call 101

(and my quote above is from police.uk, so is official UK police advice)
I just found this:
This was on the police department (in my area) website
Screen_Shot_2017_09_25_at_19_09_40.png

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I have always called 999 even for property much less expensive than a bike and never been told off

Even if the police don't respond immediately they can alert the CCTV control room and get them to track the would-be thieves.

We had someone break into a few cars in our village quite probably nicking things worth less in total than a nice bike and they sent a helicopter and dogs!

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
@User have to ask what has the biggest victim impact, someone stealing an insured car or someone stealing a bike that probably isn't insured and may not be affordable to replace.

There are plenty of cities where bike theft is endemic and being able to catch someone "in the act" may well lead to a string of other thefts.

Top Bottom