Annoying click - Helpful suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
On MrsPK's bike.
Enigma Titanium Road Bike
Hydraulic disc brakes
105 double chainset.

Rear wheel (I've checked riding alongside)
Regular "tic-tic" sound
Varies with bike speed
Present what freewheeling or pedaling
NOT present when spinning wheel in bike stand (either pedaling or spinning by hand)
Seems to be from the cassette area

Nothing embedded in the tire
No loose/broken spokes
Wheel true
Nothing lodged in brake caliper

Errm. We are stuck!

Any suggestions?

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you tried applying the brake whilst it's in the stand. Introduce some resistance, see if you get the clicking.

Broadside

Guru
On MrsPK's bike.
Enigma Titanium Road Bike
Hydraulic disc brakes
105 double chainset.

Rear wheel (I've checked riding alongside)
Regular "tic-tic" sound
Varies with bike speed
Present what freewheeling or pedaling
NOT present when spinning wheel in bike stand (either pedaling or spinning by hand)
Seems to be from the cassette area

Nothing embedded in the tire
No loose/broken spokes
Wheel true
Nothing lodged in brake caliper

Errm. We are stuck!

Any suggestions?
I’ve had a similar problem on a bike exactly as you describe. It turned out to be the presta valve clicking on the rim as the valve got to the bottom on each wheel rotation.

If it is this you can cut a piece of electrical tape and put a tiny hole in it with a sharp point, then push the tape over the top of the valve and stick it down on the rim. This will stop the valve moving around and making that clicking sound.

wonderloaf

Veteran
When I had a similar problem it turned out to be corrosion between the spoke nipples and the rim which I assume was causing chafing between the two. A couple of drops of lube at each nipple/rim interface sorted it.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Mudguards? I spent a happy day trying to solve a 'creak' to find it was the mudguard rubbing on the bridge. Cable ends? Ditto for the front mech cable hitting my shoe. Recent tyre change? Ditto for the little 'runners' from the tyre mould. How long have we got?

I'd try swapping out components until it stops, but then you end up with a new bike :-)

Ajax Bay

Guru
As @classic33 has implied, my first focus would be the brake/rotor (same area as cassette, of course, when you're riding alongside her). May be when on a stand the loads are slightly different.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a similar problem with one bike. I think the noise was due to the wheel contacting a low clearance mudguard. The reason that the problem did not occur on the bike stand was that my weight was bending the fork just enough for the contact to be made.

Gixxerman

Guru
I had one that I really couldn't get to the bottom of and it took me 2 years to find. It was a small pellet of rubber in the inner tube. Fixed with a new inner tube. I can't believe you could be so unlucky for this bizarre thing to happen again, but worth a try I suppose.

If it is a ticking sounds at the some point as the wheel turns, near the cassette and when under load, my guess is the hub pawls.

Top Bottom