Another Aldi cycling event coming up - 26Sep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
It must just be me that thinks the winter jackets are sh1te then?

I bought one last year - I didn't need it but it was cheap and I thought it might be useful to have if my other jackets were in the wash or something. I think I wore it on one ride before deciding it was actually pretty useless as a cycling jacket - stiff, uncomfortable and a poor fit.

The Aldi base layers are excellent though, cheap to buy and as good as any other base layer costing 3-4 times as much. But the jackets, gloves, bibs, etc - despite the price, they really aren't worth the money.

Completely disagree.

400bhp

Guru
What are the merino base layers like? I have a couple of Decathlon polyester ruinning vests i use as base layers but they stink after wearing them once.

D

Deleted member 20519

Going to get the Winter top this year. I quite like the look of the gloves as well. Has anyone tried the spoke reflectors?

I've had the arm and leg warmers before which were great so I'm going to get them again, what are the overshoes like?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Merino is great. The Aldi ones are "a blend" and I would therefore be dubious about how good and comfortable they are. I personally prefer to get budget merino from Planet X were they are 100% merino and give you the weight of fabric used.

D

Deleted member 20519

Jacket or shirt? Both are excellent VFM.

I;ve been wearing last year's shirt to commute this week-no base layer. Just about right for temps 6-12 deg.

Probably just the jacket, I would get a shirt but I'm not big on the colour.

potsy

Rambler
Jacket was great for my winter commute last year, still in good condition and will be used again as soon as it gets below 4c :cold:

Going to get another of the excellent winter jerseys, and maybe a pair of the winter trousers.

That's if there's anything left when I get home :scratch:

400bhp

Guru
Shall we continue with the quote tennis?

The jacket is excellent. Very warm for cold days (less than 5 deg), reasonably good fit, but not a snug race style fit. Good size pockets with a zippped pocket too. The jacket gets very slightly more sweaty that my endure windproof which costs 3-4 times as much.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Shall we continue with the quote tennis?

The jacket is excellent. Very warm for cold days (less than 5 deg), reasonably good fit, but not a snug race style fit. Good size pockets with a zippped pocket too. The jacket gets very slightly more sweaty that my endure windproof which costs 3-4 times as much.

So the pockets ( do you use them ?) are good but the rest isnt really very good ?
I read the above as it doesnt fit very well and is to warm and makes you sweaty .

potsy

Rambler
So the pockets ( do you use them ?) are good but the rest isnt really very good ?
I read the above as it doesnt fit very well and is to warm and makes you sweaty .
It's definitely a very cold weather jacket, I use mine with a single baselayer underneath when it's anything down to -5c.
It's 'commuter' fit rather than snug like some would prefer, try one on in store before you buy, you can always buy jaffa cakes instead while you're there :thumbsup:

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
i've bought quite a bit of the aldi stuff both last year and earlier on this year....some of the stuff is good some not....gonna get the top and the shoes will have a look at the much debated winter jacket too

Top Bottom