Another Bargain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
@richie244 got one not too long ago IIRC and someone else sold one

Search function should bring up some hits :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
Phone in the week when less busy :smile:

I expect it fluctuates on how many have been ordered, how busy they are in the workshop, whether there are staff on holiday etc. My guess based on a Planet X experience would be one to two weeks. But it could be very different

This chap got his the following week

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-bike-buying-dilemma-with-pros-and-cons.204122/page-5

I don't know how a cyclechatter would know, I don't think any work for Dolan

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
To answer your question, no it's not too good to be true. What you're paying for is the frame, the parts, and pretty much nothing else. No massive marketing campaign, no distributor margin, dealer margin, no pro sponsorship... you get the picture.

I bought a Dolan Hercules, which I believe is the predecessor to the l'etape, from a form member. Wonderful bike, loved it (only criticism would be that the frame size was a little small for me. Be wary of the sizing with sloping top tube).

My son has a Hercules still, and races it regularly, it's survived numerous crashes, and still looks stunning. The finish is in another league compared to normal carbon bikes from the mainstream brands. Terry Dolan made a bike for Wiggo when he was 'between teams' or at least before Sky got around to sending him a PInarello. He's made bikes for a lot of top racers.

Dolan are very well known in amateur and youth racing, for making great bikes which don't break the bank. Spec wise you get probably 2-3 gruppo's up compared with mainstream brands for the price point, and I'd say frame wise, you get at least the same again, i.e. 3 echelons up from mainstream. By the way, my son's bike, with Rival 22, and Mavic Aksiums, weighed in at just under 8kg, without pedals and cages. Now he's upgraded the wheels, we should be around 7.5 kg.

If you live within reach of Dolan, you'd be crazy not to buy from them, since you can go in, get sized up, and they'll make sure it fits you much better than most bike shops, to the extent that you probably won't need a bike fit.

Disclaimer here, I have no association with Dolan, in fact, may very soon be in competition with them! Damn and blast, where's that delete key!

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Oh, and it says on the webpage, just above bike spec, current delivery time 5-7 working days, but if you live locally and can collect, you could probably have it sooner if necessary.

To answer your question, no it's not too good to be true. What you're paying for is the frame, the parts, and pretty much nothing else. No massive marketing campaign, no distributor margin, dealer margin, no pro sponsorship... you get the picture.

I bought a Dolan Hercules, which I believe is the predecessor to the l'etape, from a form member. Wonderful bike, loved it (only criticism would be that the frame size was a little small for me. Be wary of the sizing with sloping top tube).

My son has a Hercules still, and races it regularly, it's survived numerous crashes, and still looks stunning. The finish is in another league compared to normal carbon bikes from the mainstream brands. Terry Dolan made a bike for Wiggo when he was 'between teams' or at least before Sky got around to sending him a PInarello. He's made bikes for a lot of top racers.

Dolan are very well known in amateur and youth racing, for making great bikes which don't break the bank. Spec wise you get probably 2-3 gruppo's up compared with mainstream brands for the price point, and I'd say frame wise, you get at least the same again, i.e. 3 echelons up from mainstream. By the way, my son's bike, with Rival 22, and Mavic Aksiums, weighed in at just under 8kg, without pedals and cages. Now he's upgraded the wheels, we should be around 7.5 kg.

If you live within reach of Dolan, you'd be crazy not to buy from them, since you can go in, get sized up, and they'll make sure it fits you much better than most bike shops, to the extent that you probably won't need a bike fit.

Disclaimer here, I have no association with Dolan, in fact, may very soon be in competition with them! Damn and blast, where's that delete key!
I thought some pro tour teams have used dolan bikes during the last few years. Doesn't that mean the brand was tied in to pro marketing in some way?

cm2mackem

Über Member
http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/dolan-l-etape-carbon-road-bike-shimano-5800.html

This looks a right bargain,is it too good to be true ,anyone got one of these for a recommendation,frame any good or is that maybe why it's a bargain, they seem to have pretty good reviews,might go down and view one as I live local to their showroom,anyone with reviews??
I have the sram version, very good value for money but I drove up to the shop for a fit, very friendly staff.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I thought some pro tour teams have used dolan bikes during the last few years. Doesn't that mean the brand was tied in to pro marketing in some way?

You may be right, I wouldn't have thought that Dolan would have the clout to sponsor a pro team though, they're a very small company. I guess they may supply free bikes or frames to some lesser teams. I guess that's not bad thing, thinking about it. What I meant was just that they don't have a big marketing budget, which is why they're not so well known, but tend to be better value.

eta, yes, you're right of course, An Post (Sean Kelly), used the Dolan Ares.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran

Yes live local going in to have a look,they do a bike fitting for £25 if anyone needs one, looked on their website seems good

Oxo

Guru
I've been to the revolution meetings at Manchester velodrome a number of times and lots of the junior riders use Dolan frames/bikes. Suspect they do some form of sponsorship for juniors.

united4ever

Über Member
so they are in Ormskirk I see, not too far from me. Just wondering, would you buy a bike without a test ride? Is reading all the spec enough for you to order it delivered? I am not a bike expert by any means but I would want to try the bike out to get a feel for it before making my decision and preferably try out a few to see which one suits me best. Maybe, if you know your bikes really well you can base it purely on spec and of course make the required tweaks or change minor parts.

Top Bottom