Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
A quick update, Firstly I pulled out the bottom bracket, I was going to fit the later sealed one that I’d bought second hand but as the thread for the fixed cup had been chewed in the past, it wouldn’t go in and I didn’t want to force it so I reverted to plan B and that was to just service and reuse the existing one.

It was all in pretty good condition so I degreased and cleaned everything reassembled with plenty of fresh grease and new bearings. A quick run around the block and it was much smoother.

One thing that irritated me was the fact that the front wheel nuts are 13mm and the rear 15mm. Later bikes are 15mm front and rear. I want to buy the Brompton tool kit which although won’t fit in the SWB frame will still slip in a pocket and after some research is easily the best option, however the kit only includes a 15mm spanner so I needed to change the front wheel nuts. Brilliant bikes supplied a set for the front.

I also ordered the caps which are fitted to the later bikes, these stop you catching your leg on the axles.

I’m still waiting for my early pump to arrive from France, and the next job is to just pull out and inspect the head bearings, which seem OK, but as I don’t know the history of the bike it’s wise to check them.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I replaced the FAG BB and swaged crankset with more normal items (UN55 and Sugino XD) a long time ago. In fact, I'm going to retap and face the BB shell (which was rough rough rough from the factory) and put a nicer BB in.

However, only a Brompton left crank will definitely work with a folding pedal. The pedal fouls the end of most cranks.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The benefit of sticking with an old style BB is that they are easy to adjust and service, next time I’ll just leave the fixed cup in situ, as it was a pig to get it back on the thread. I had to tap it with a mallet to seat it, I may not be quite so lucky next time!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can usually get a cup and cone BB freer-running than a cartridge, and it has bigger bearings. They are pretty hopeless in the wet, though, as water always seems to get in and cause pitting. Plus the tools to fit and adjust a Shimano one (fixed cup spanner, pin spanner, lockring spanner) are about £50, if you can still buy them!

The shell faces have to be spot on because both cups rely on them.

kj92

The bracket arrived from China today so managed to fit it all. I dropped the front reflector slightly to increase the clearance. The Decathlon USB light that I already had fits the basket perfectly. I’m really pleased with the results, it should now get plenty of use.

View attachment 511007

View attachment 511009

Hey! The basket bracket you purchased from China - do you have a link at all? I tried ebay but the only ones I could find were 3D printed and thus not trustworthy in my eyes :huh:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
My £30 Vintage Brooks B17 arrived today, it's got a lovely patina and is in great condition, better than I expected. Usually I would clean and restore, but this is so good, all I did was clean the chrome rails up with some wire wool.

Fitting to the Pentaclip was a really simple job, a bit of adjustment and it's great, really comfortable and I think it just finishes off the Brommie perfectly.

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I had a tan saddle on mine but got some Ergon grips in black. These are slimmer by far than the cork ones I'd had (GA3S) and surprisingly the most comfortable. But the tan saddle and the black grips weren't compatible with my anal nature so I popped on an identical one in black. Unfortunately my bodgy front bag is yellow so I will have to address that!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Another quick update, the Brommie is still getting plenty of use, the detachable basket was a great idea and is used regularly for trips to our local shops. It’s had plenty of weight in it and seems really robust.

The Brooks B17 has been removed for another project but has been replaced with a Swift, which I think suits the bike better as it’s slimmer.

I’ve also changed the flimsy plastic 3 speed changer

Usually with these sort of projects once built, I get a bit bored and move them on, however the Brompton just continues to be a rolling project, if I see an idea I like I then consider adding It.

Last edited:

kj92

Another quick update, the Brommie is still getting plenty of use, the detachable basket was a great idea and is used regularly for trips to our local shops. It’s had plenty of weight in it and seems really robust.

View attachment 537818

View attachment 537819

View attachment 537820

The Brooks B17 has been removed for another project but has been replaced with a Swift, which I think suits the bike better as it’s slimmer.

View attachment 537817

I’ve also changed the flimsy plastic 3 speed changer

View attachment 537821

Usually with these sort of projects once built, I get a bit bored and move them on, however the Brompton just continues to be a rolling project, if I see an idea I like I then consider adding It.

The three speed changer!! How does it fare in comparison? Does it click back with every gear change, or does it go further away and closer to you like the Brommie standard one?

I keep meaning to get that basket from Decathlon, but missing out on the Cycle Surgery closing down sale on the Borough bag for 30 odd quid still plagues me 🤬😂

Top Bottom