Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
This turned up today

C8DFAA52-69B3-413D-A9C7-230FC749BB0C.jpeg

A good used ISO bottom bracket, now impossible to get hold of, if you want to upgrade your old fashioned cone and ball bearing BB you’ll need to replace the whole crankset with the later spider type and then fit an JIS BB the whole lot will end up costing just under £100

This was £12 👍 I just need a FAG tool to fit it, but not urgent, I’ve put it in my box of spares ready for a rainy day.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The bracket arrived from China today so managed to fit it all. I dropped the front reflector slightly to increase the clearance. The Decathlon USB light that I already had fits the basket perfectly. I’m really pleased with the results, it should now get plenty of use.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
The bracket arrived from China today so managed to fit it all. I dropped the front reflector slightly to increase the clearance. The Decathlon USB light that I already had fits the basket perfectly. I’m really pleased with the results, it should now get plenty of use.

View attachment 511007

View attachment 511006

View attachment 511008

View attachment 511009

View attachment 511010

View attachment 511011

View attachment 511012
Looks great. Have you tried it with a load?

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’ve just come back from popping down to local shops so I could get some supplies for my elderly in laws.

The basket was full (with a bit more weight than I anticipated) and handled it perfectly, people are right about Bromptons handing better with some weight over the front wheel! The fittings and bracket is nice and solid. I’m really pleased with the finished result.

However the main benefit is that the basket clips off in seconds and you can use it in the supermarket avoiding having to touch their own baskets and being able to shop for exactly what you can carry on the bike.

I had noticed that when folded the chain has slipped of the jockey wheels a couple of times, the problem was that the arm was sticking slightly so it wasn’t springing back and tensioning the chain when folded. I loosened it off, degreased and cleaned it, re lubricated it moved it rigorously back and forth and it’s solved the problem. I love a simple little fix like that!

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
However the main benefit is that the basket clips off in seconds and you can use it in the supermarket avoiding having to touch their own baskets and being able to shop for exactly what you can carry on the bike.
I love that. When I've been shopping on the bike, I've always bought too much and then have to spend twenty minutes on a Krypton Factor-type puzzle to fit everything comfortably in panniers and pockets!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Good point - I like that!

I often cycle to my local Lidl on my singlespeed bike. I carry my shopping back in a 35 litre rucksack, and if I am not paying attention I often seem to end up with about 38 litres of shopping! I have got into the habit of carrying an overflow bag - a cotton bag with long straps which I can just get over my head and put one arm through - but it is a pain to use.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
It appears the virus lives on a hard surface for no more than a few days.

When the parcel arrives, you could wear gloves to pick it up then leave it somewhere untouched until the virus will have died of its own accord.

Or, if you are more impatient, wear gloves to open it to cover yourself against the packaging.

Any virus on the contents will surely have already died of old age.

I'm doing that with all deliveries here in Spain, even the normal mail envelopes. One never knows who might have been coughing and spluttering over the mail at the sorting office that morning!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
As it is now all finished, I thought I would post some photos of it completed. I’m now using it regularly and definitely intend to keep it.

I definitely made the right decision keeping the original paint and decals, it just gives it some character and reminds me of the bike it was when I bought it.

Many thanks for all the positive comments, help and encouragement.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
As it is now all finished, I thought I would post some photos of it completed. I’m now using it regularly and definitely intend to keep it.

I definitely made the right decision keeping the original paint and decals, it just gives it some character and reminds me of the bike it was when I bought it.

View attachment 512304

View attachment 512305

View attachment 512306

View attachment 512307

View attachment 512308

View attachment 512309

View attachment 512310
Looks fantastic. I am in equal parts impressed and envious.

And let's be honest... you have converted me. I now want a Brompton. ^_^

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain

Thanks for sharing that journey. Very impressive!

Top Bottom