Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brompton might be a bit miffed if they found out you are using their logo?
Not that they are very likely to see it of course.

I was about to post the same thing.

Brompton can be funny buggers, so I wouldn't be surprised if you got a snotty letter, particularly if there's any indication you will be producing a few for other members.

Not using the logo would cover yourself.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Lights and reflectors arrived today (I only ordered them on Saturday morning 👍)

Front reflector

Rear combined reflector/light

And USB front light

jiberjaber

Veteran
So close to done, fits and works. Surprised how much I needed to increase some dimensions to get a different material to work. Seems a lot stronger and only with 10% infill! Will try and break it tomorrow.... Logo still causing issues in printing (works fine when printed flat)

Think I'll remove it...

1585005975435.png

1585006016639.png

Attachments

• IMG_20200323_232012.jpg
    IMG_20200323_232012.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200323_232004.jpg
    IMG_20200323_232004.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200323_231953.jpg
    IMG_20200323_231953.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 8

jiberjaber

Veteran
It failed a load test today, 2x 2l and 1x1.25 of water and a lot of bouncing up and down. Not catastrophic failure but enough for me to print a new one at more than 10% infill. That print just failed, I'll start a new print running tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_172955.jpg
    IMG_20200324_172955.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 10

Tenkaykev

Guru
That's 3d printed, standing in the same orientation as I've been printing, you can tell as they haven't used supports as evidenced by the sagging layers at the catch cutout.

OK, thanks, whilst I'm aware of 3D printing ( I follow "Rocket Report" on the Ars Technica website. Where they discuss the 3D printing of all sorts of esoteric components) I'm not familiar with the actual process.
I've mounted the basket/bracket on my Brompton to make sure it fits, but I've not load tested it.

If you were going to manufacture a few then I'd be grateful for the opportunity to buy one.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I had a thought this morning that an old acrylic number plate could be cut in half and used as strengthening plates. (Attached to the existing welded in plate) The aftermarket Chinese Brompton luggage bracket could then be easily fixed in any position and the load would be spread.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I had a thought this morning that an old acrylic number plate could be cut in half and used as strengthening plates. (Attached to the existing welded in plate) The aftermarket Chinese Brompton luggage bracket could then be easily fixed in any position and the load would be spread.

Yep - anything to spread the load, I printed something because I only have a small selection of M4 bolt lengths, 10 or 12mm would be ideal but at the moment I only have 20mm and 16mm long hence the thickness of the back plate :smile:

I've given the print bed a quick coat of ABS juice (acetone and melted ABS mixture) to renew the adhesion, I might set off another print just now to see if I can get something without it turning into spaghetti :smile:

I might also experiment with an acetone wash once printed - it's used to smooth the surface more but I am interested in if it will impart additional strength to the bracket as it fuses the layers on the outside as it slightly melts teh ABS to smooth it.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I got in to the garage and decided to put the theory into practice as the tracking information I have means that the bracket from China could even be here this week.

Two pieces of luck, firstly I found an old number plate with a black backing (most are white) and it’s exactly the correct width!

I then cut two pieces and sanded off all the rough and sharp edges

And then taped off the edges of the reflective side so the edges can’t be seen.

I decided to use the securing plate which came with the basket.

I just needed slightly longer bolts which I already had.

Really pleased with it, no sharp edges and a nice firm, strong base to mount the new bracket on. My only slight concern is that the original plastic backing plate may get in the way of mounting the Brompton bracket, if so I’ll just use nuts and washers instead.

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
I don't have the sort of kit you do but have found polymorph, useful for moulding and strengthening several brackets ,racks ,mudguards . Small lentil sized pellets that con be moulded by hand or spatula once warmed up in hot water sets as hard as nylon can be cut or drilled ,rewarmed with a hairdryer and tweaked again but like the number plate solution

12boy

Guru
I like the license plate. As you could see from my earlier post 1/8 plywood also works well. BTW, in the bikeforums folding bike section a while back, a gentleman made a box big enough to hold his Brompton from ABS by "welding" the joints with acetone. The welds were stout enough to take the bike on a plane with him and the extra clothing stuffed in and around the bike cushioned it. When he landed, he put the box on a rack for a luggage carrier. Apparently the acetone dissolves the ABS and when dried resulted in a one piece box.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I like the license plate. As you could see from my earlier post 1/8 plywood also works well. BTW, in the bikeforums folding bike section a while back, a gentleman made a box big enough to hold his Brompton from ABS by "welding" the joints with acetone. The welds were stout enough to take the bike on a plane with him and the extra clothing stuffed in and around the bike cushioned it. When he landed, he put the box on a rack for a luggage carrier. Apparently the acetone dissolves the ABS and when dried resulted in a one piece box.

Yep - if you had some ABS sheets this would be an interesting alternative to explore

Top Bottom