Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Well I’ve done it, after a few days of haggling, I’ve managed to find a cheap Brompton. I’ve wanted one for ages but also I like to fiddle and fettle, so this one fits the bill perfectly. It’s 3 speed model, it needs a new chain ring as it’s bent but I’ve already sourced a replacement, let’s just hope the old one comes off :ohmy:

It needs stripping cleaning, detailing and a few replacement parts. I’ll start on it as soon as I have a bit of space (two bikes in the garage are waiting for their new owners to collect)

But this is what a £350 Brompton looks like (better than I thought!)

This one is likely to be a keeper (I always say this!) so this will be a budget refresh as I want to keep the costs down and I don’t want it looking too smart, just clean functional and mechanically sorted.

One thing I’m not sure about is the rear rack, do I remove or keep it? I’d be interested in others opinions on this, personally I’m Inclined to get of rid of it, fit a roller to the mudguard and buy a used basket bag for the front which will be more useful.

Shopping list so far;

Crankset (purchased)
Brompton Seat
Brompton pedals with folding pedal (purchased)
Handlebar grips (purchased)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Get rid of that feckin saddle for a start, its an abomination.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Definitely go for a front luggage block and a nice bag. Whether you get rid off the rack depends on how much you want carry I guess.

Part of me wishes I had gone for a rack when I got mine, so I'll be interested in other people's views...

Definitely lose the rear rack. Getting a luggage block on mine and the Mrs' Brommies, an O and an L bag has been absolutely transformative (and improves the bikes' handling too). ^_^

Oh, and I'd recommend a pair of Ergon GP2 grips and a frame clip for the rear triangle if the budget will stretch :okay:

12boy

Guru
Hideous abomination of a saddle, at least to me. Second the Ergons and the block and a naked bag frame upon which you can put the bag of your choice unless you have the funds for a complete Brompton bag and frame. Other things can be acquired as dinero comes available. Lights, perhaps a bell, Chris King Gripnut headset an artisanly crafted, locally sourced, non GMO, organic leather saddle are some examples.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Had a good look at the rear carrier last night and the problem with removing it is that I will probably have to replace the whole rear mudguard assembly as I will need the blade, stays and roller. The carrier version has the blade bolted to the carrier. I need to decide what to do as used clean complete rear mudguard assemblies seem thin on the ground and they’re £60 new :ohmy:

I will need a new 98T chain as the replacement crankset is 50T and old one was 46T, good news is that some progress has been made, handle bar grips are on! :laugh:

The other item hard to source is a frame decal, if anyone could point me in the right direction I’d appreciate the help. Mine is orange. I’d also like to date the bike if possible, again if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm doing it more for the challenge than the finished effect to be honest. I've done solid colour, I've done masked off lugs, so now I'm trying a pattern :laugh:

Not that I don't think it will look pretty cool if I can get it right, but we shall see :laugh:

I've just spent far more time than I'd like to admit carefully cutting out the Brompton text from a pair of new decals I bought... I was then able to carefully re-use the wax paper backing to keep the spacing correct...

View attachment 498619

With the individual letters now on the backing paper I could fairly easily transfer them on to the frame to use as a mask...

View attachment 498618

View attachment 498617

Once the rest of the colours are all on I'll peel it off along with the camo masks to reveal the brompton logo in blue - unless I mess it up before then :laugh::okay: I'm going to start cutting out camo blobs now :wacko::laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
My decal came from Evan's - I just checked and they only seem to sell silver white or black. I've seen red ones on eBay but not sure I've seen orange before?

Great to see another little brompton getting some affection ^_^:okay:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I grabbed a cup of tea, put the radio on and spent some time in the garage this afternoon.

My first priority was to see if I could just get it to ride properly. The front chainring was bent caused by a bent front mudguard stay, I managed to straighten both and although not perfect the chain now stays on.

I fitted the correct Brompton pedals I sourced for £25

Fitted an old Raleigh seat I had lying around (off my Raleigh Banana project)

I then straightened the rear rack, got rid of the broken reflector and dynamo light and fitted a wider reflector I already had.

At the same time I trimmed and tidied up broken edge of the rear mudguard, cable tied the other end to the frame as it was loose and then cut off the broken front mudflap. I also touched the frame up with some Humbrol enamel and gave it all a clean.

I then got all three gears working , cleaned and adjusted the brakes and lubricated everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom