Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you sure you want to keep that rear rack:whistle: looking for a 2nd hand one at the moment.

Don't like the front Alu block as i sometimes carry heavy and bulky items.

It's come up really well and amazed you got that for such a low price, but i bet it took some elbow grease:okay:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
At the moment I’ve decided to keep it, I strangely like it 😮 if I change my mind I’ll let you know.

The combined back light/reflector has taken off and swapped for a regular reflector, the light was too bulky and touched the ground when the bike was folded.

Last edited:
At the moment I’ve decided to keep it, I strangely like it 😮 if I change my mind I’ll let you know.

The combined back light/reflector has taken off and swapped for a regular reflector, the light was too bulky and touched the ground when the bike was folded.

Must admit i prefer the look without a rack but they are super practical.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Some stuff turned up today, the rear frame catch, front and rear mudflaps. I also got lucky today and bought a genuine unused Brompton 98 link chain for only £15 including P&P so I can use the 50T crankset I already have. I also sourced a cheap luggage block, so it’s all taking shape. My total expenditure will be below the £100 I budgeted to spend on it, although I’m not selling it on so I don’t mind putting some money into this one.

Problem is now time, my son and I have also bought a cheap Specialized Allez to sell on, so that will take priority over the little Brompton this weekend.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I had a nice hour of peace and quiet in the garage this evening.

Firstly I fitted the rear frame clip, a very nicely engineered solution.

3807747A-0D4E-4E73-8EDD-6A449330BDE4.jpeg

The bike no longer folds up when lifted and supports itself on the workstand.

068B192F-BF76-479B-B3AC-B042A98DBDFE.jpeg

Fitted new front and rear mudflaps

49D05F23-6728-4F51-A062-DB08CE4A7B41.jpeg

E89DAC56-0702-46DB-821E-7136863403E8.jpeg

And a cheeky little fold just to make sure it all worked.

ADCECC53-A45F-4DAB-8D63-60FE48920EFB.jpeg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Good project, and I reckon you've got a bargain. Since you're keeping the rack, I'd suggest a worthwhile upgrade would be to replace the existing rollers with Eazy Wheels. Best to confirm this from a more reliable source, but I think you'll need the 5mm option for the rack, at ~£9 a pair, and 6mm for the frame, at an unjustifiable ~£17 a pair. There may be cheaper alternatives, but hardly worth the hassle.
They make it much easier to roll the folded Brommie round the supermarket while you fill your front pannier (what? Not got one yet? ^_^) with goods. Oh, yes, don't put your new folder in a trolley and wheel that round while collecting groceries, or you may end up with more than you can carry - that's why you fill the pannier instead. :okay:

Edited to add that you might be able to refit your reflector & light combo. The Eazy Wheels will raise the folded bike slightly, possibly enough that the light no longer grounds.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I actually removed the rear frame clip because I prefer the original setup for quicker folding.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Rotating the block to lock the back assembly took me ages to work out when I borrowed a friend's one to cycle to the dentist the other day!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I tackled the job I’ve been putting off this morning and that’s swapping over the front chain ring which I anticipated would be a pig to get off.

Thanks to my new Decathlon crank removal tool it was a doddle

69B526D3-CDCF-4329-9EEF-0D81F0A7004B.jpeg

Once off I gave everything a good clean

BAE2CF33-D56F-49C1-81D2-C20D5A0BDC6D.jpeg

Assembled everything with plenty of copper grease and fitted a new chain.

93090564-2BA6-4A58-827A-9F90F1E14C80.jpeg

A quick ride around the block has convinced me that the increased 50t chain ring was the way to go, the gearing is more sensible. Total cost £30 👍

Next job is the appalling brakes I’m going to bite the bullet and upgrade the whole lot with Shimano BL-R550 levers and new style callipers.

This project is starting to get expensive 😮

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
But you can rotate the block so it doesn’t lock
You can. But since I never use it, knowing that extra few grams of weight is there would eat away at my soul.

I think it's a "delete option" on new bikes. It certainly used to be.

12boy

Guru
When you get the brakes on and working post some pics, please. Almost any decent side pull brake with long enough brake arms will work on the front and since most all of them have a release, that could aid in pulling the wheel while inflated. The back brake, since it works with a down pull instead of the conventional up pull, would seem to require you find better down pull brakes or change the cable routing to pull up.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Quite a few brakes can be reassembled for bottom pull. They tend to be the cheaper ones, though.

There's not much wrong with Brompton's own brakes except penny-pinching, with bolts that go rusty at the drop of a hat. Apollo-grade components on a £1000 bike.

Top Bottom