Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
If you take the rack off how are you going to move it when folded as one pair of rollers are on the rack?
Also the rear mudguard will scrape on the ground *(when folded/folding).
*(Plus it wont stand up either when folded).
Edit *( )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
If you take the rack off how are you going to move it when folded as one pair of rollers are on the rack?
Also the rear mudguard will scrape on the ground *(when folded/folding).
*(Plus it wont stand up either when folded).
Edit *( )

The replacement mudguard has a single roller

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I fitted the new brakes and mudguards this evening, the hole in the rear of the fork had to be drilled out to 8mm which was hard work as it’s a very thick piece of mild steel, but a slow speed and plenty of cutting oil did the trick.

Before

After

The Shimano levers have to be stretched to fit and you need a longer bolt but I’m pleased with them. They suit the Brompton and the barrel adjuster is handy.

Rear was much easier.

Before

After

Also fitted the Eazy wheels to the frame and seat post bung. I’m just waiting for few minor odds and sods to arrive and then I’ll finish it off. It’ll all need a tweak and some adjustment but I’m really pleased with the transformation. It’ll be finished ready for the milder weather.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
@JhnBssll made a very kind donation to the “Gunk uneconomical bicycle restoration trust” today, he is now Mrs Gunk’s new best friend as she’s found out how much I’ve spent on the little Brommie. 😮 So thanks to John these turned up today.

These are the later stronger “M” type bars to replace the fragile Mk 1 aluminium bars which are prone to bending. So off with the old...

And on with the new bars, the Shimano BL-R550 levers now fit perfectly as the diameter is slightly smaller. They look like original equipment.

Fitted another set of Decathlon £2.99 grips which are £17 cheaper than the “Brompton” foam grips for sale on Fleabay

Checked the fold.

And managed a quick ride around the block. First impressions are that the ride is much smoother now I’ve serviced all the bearings and fitted new Marathon tyres, gearing is perfect with the 50T front chain ring. Gears all shift perfectly. Brakes are an absolute revelation compared with the original 20 year old Mk 1 brakes. although very expensive well worth the upgrade.

Almost finished now, I’m just waiting for a proper Brompton seat to arrived from the worlds slowest eBay seller, luckily the price was right so I’ll be patient. I’ll then fit the Pentaclip and height insert.

I’m also waiting for a luggage block and I’ll adapt a Decathlon mesh front basket to clip on so I can use the Brommie to pop down to the shops and run other errands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’m surprised eagle eyed Brompton experts didn’t spot that the front mud flap was on back to front, don’t worry my bearded friends, order has been restored, said mudflap has been flipped over the right way.

12boy

Guru
I wish I could be as meticulous and patient as you. Truly a nice clean bike. And, while I am probably in a tiny minority I like the old style seat clamps and the Pentaclips that resemble them. I like em on my old bikes cause they look cool and work bitchin.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Finally the seat turned up today, it’s mint only £17 delivered, so it was well worth the weeks wait.

I fitted the Pentaclip and rubber O rings which protect the frame from the pentaclip hitting it when the seat is lowered.

I took it out for a slightly longer ride this morning about 6 miles and it’s lovely, really nice and smooth, however due to an impending job change I won’t need it for commuting but I will end up getting some use out of it as it’s just so handy to fold up and stick in the boot of the car and they are a giggle to ride. My 15 year old had a go on it and he loved it.

So really it’s finished, I have a few minor jobs such as lighting and luggage to sort out, but the bike itself is all done.

This is probably one of the most rewarding bikes I’ve done, they’re great to work on, beautifully engineered and very easy to update and improve as the parts availability is so good, and as the basic design hasn’t changed it’s easy to make a 20 year old Brompton benefit from all the advances and features of the newer bikes.

Total costs have come in at around £650 (including the cost of the bike) but I’ve ended up with a fully sorted, serviced and really clean Brompton M3L which is just a bit more interesting and different to a new bike off the shelf.

My daughter already has her eyes on it for when she goes off to university next year!

So this was what it looked like when I picked it up

And now, all finished and ready for years more service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom