Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IMG_20200314_125122212_HDR-01.jpeg

Took my eBay bargain for a potter to the seaside. Lovely 2 hrs on it. Just niggles to resolve like a bit of cone slack at back and a tiny bit of sturmey slippage. Very therapeutic ride.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Finally the seat turned up today, it’s mint only £17 delivered, so it was well worth the weeks wait.

View attachment 508357

I fitted the Pentaclip and rubber O rings which protect the frame from the pentaclip hitting it when the seat is lowered.

View attachment 508358

I took it out for a slightly longer ride this morning about 6 miles and it’s lovely, really nice to ride, I can see that although due to an impending job change I won’t need it for commuting I will end up getting some use out of it as it’s just so handy to fold up and stick in the boot of the car and they are a giggle to ride.

So really it’s finished, I have a few minor jobs such as lighting and luggage to sort out, but the bike itself is all done.

View attachment 508361

View attachment 508362

This is probably one of the most rewarding bikes I’ve done, they’re great to work on, beautifully engineered and very easy to update and improve as the parts availability is so good, and as the basic design hasn’t changed it’s easy to make a 20 year old Brompton benefit from all the advances and features of the newer bikes.

Total costs have come in at around £650 (including the cost of the bike) but I’ve ended up with a fully sorted, serviced and really clean Brompton M3L which is just a bit more interesting and different to a new bike off the shelf.

My daughter already has her eyes on it for when she goes off to university next year!

So this was what it looked like when I picked it up

View attachment 508367

And now, all finished and ready for years more service.

View attachment 508369

That has turned out a treat.

As the owner of my local Brompton dealer observed, a Brompton is the only bike where it's nearly always cost effective to refurbish, no matter how knackered it is.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
That has turned out a treat.

As the owner of my local Brompton dealer observed, a Brompton is the only bike where it's nearly always cost effective to refurbish, no matter how knackered it is.

I would agree but it is easy to get carried away. However the chap at Brilliant Bikes recons that most £500-£600 eBay Bromptons they get in end up needing a couple of hundred pounds spending on them.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I’m also waiting for a luggage block and I’ll adapt a Decathlon mesh front basket to clip on so I can use the Brommie to pop down to the shops and run other errands.
Looks great! :smile:
I'd be interested to see the mesh front basket mod - sounds like an ideal shopping idea!

ETA: Which basket were you considering, there seems to be quite a few on their site to choose from ...

jiberjaber

Veteran
I was thinking of this one, the adaptor plate I’ve ordered should easily fit. It’ll take a bag of shopping etc.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/front-bike-basket-black-id_8031536.html

View attachment 508796
Yep that's the one I looked at plus the folding inner though that wouldn't be as flexible for putting shopping bags in.

Where did you order the bracket from?, I've seen some 3d printable adaptors for there stuff to allow fixing to the std Brompton front mount.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’ve ordered one from China off eBay, I’ll wash my hands thoroughly when it arrives 😮

Smudge

Veteran
Ordered quite a bit of stuff from China myself last week. Five items from AliEx and one from ebay.
When will i get em with all the current shyte going on ? Will I get em at all ! ..... But its probably no more of a guessing game lottery than usual from Chinese sellers.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It appears the virus lives on a hard surface for no more than a few days.

When the parcel arrives, you could wear gloves to pick it up then leave it somewhere untouched until the virus will have died of its own accord.

Or, if you are more impatient, wear gloves to open it to cover yourself against the packaging.

Any virus on the contents will surely have already died of old age.

Top Bottom