Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiberjaber

Veteran
Picked up a basket today, will print a bracket this week for it. Needs a bit of thought in design to allow shopping trolley mode when partly folded else it will fowl the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_131038.jpg
    IMG_20200318_131038.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200318_130850_383.jpg
    IMG_20200318_130850_383.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
That’s exactly what I’m going to do, please keep us updated.

jiberjaber

Veteran
So printed off a draft bracket to use to size the actual one. There's a couple of issues.....

In order to use the basket in shopping trolly mode it needs to line up about the bottom 2 holes on the basket in order to clear the 'top tube' when folded in to that config. It fouls the seat but this is easily remedied by rotating the seat.

The complication comes from the mounting holes are the same place as the bracket sides, so some cunning engineering solution required in teh design to mount it using the existing holes... or just drill some new holes (less inclined to do that as there's nice plastic coating on the cage :smile: )

Another option would be a metal adaptor plate to offset teh basket up a bit more and allow side flange on the printed part to connect to the metal plate... There is a similar design already on thingiverse

Some thinking required on the ride to the pub and back tonight I think... I've done recessed nuts before but not taking the load this might take (though max weight for on the label is 5kg!)

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_180320.jpg
    IMG_20200318_180320.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200318_180208.jpg
    IMG_20200318_180208.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
My luggage block and bottom bracket spanner arrived today.

Luggage block was a nice simple job

I wasn’t happy with the bottom bracket, there was too much play in it so It needed adjustment. My trusty crankset removal tool made light work of whipping the crank arm off. I hate bodging with a hammer and drift so the proper lock ring tool worked a treat.

Everything was filthy, it’s probably never been off the bike, so I scrubbed and degreased everything and cleaned the spindle and crank arm, took the play out of the bottom bracket and reassembled with a smidge of copper grease.

Put it all together and now zero play, so had to have a cheeky beer to celebrate!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So printed off a draft bracket to use to size the actual one. There's a couple of issues.....

In order to use the basket in shopping trolly mode it needs to line up about the bottom 2 holes on the basket in order to clear the 'top tube' when folded in to that config. It fouls the seat but this is easily remedied by rotating the seat.

The complication comes from the mounting holes are the same place as the bracket sides, so some cunning engineering solution required in teh design to mount it using the existing holes... or just drill some new holes (less inclined to do that as there's nice plastic coating on the cage :smile: )

Another option would be a metal adaptor plate to offset teh basket up a bit more and allow side flange on the printed part to connect to the metal plate... There is a similar design already on thingiverse

Some thinking required on the ride to the pub and back tonight I think... I've done recessed nuts before but not taking the load this might take (though max weight for on the label is 5kg!)

My plan was just to drill it and then use some oversized washers on the mesh part of the basket. Are you saying that the basket is too close to the frame, will it need spacers?

jiberjaber

Veteran
My plan was just to drill it and then use some oversized washers on the mesh part of the basket. Are you saying that the basket is too close to the frame, will it need spacers?
If using the current holes, they need to be aligned with the top half of the block- I guess my concern is around additional leverage on the 3d printed part. The part will have to be printed with the layers vertical rather than horizontal, that much seems logical so far (which was how the test piece was printed.)

I was initially thinking it would be as easy as something like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2269441 but wanting to use it in shopping cart mode (seems daft not to!) means it does need the block lower on the basket.

If you are drilling holes, then this would work https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1581133
If not, then it needs to be something like this one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2479007

The latter was where I was in my thinking, the clamp that comes with it already has prefitted nuts in a back plate which I wanted to use, any holes to use them would end up on under the return edges of the bracket. I'll make a start on a model to see where exactly and see where I go from there. :smile:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Your solution is very elegant, mine will involve holes, washers, spacers and general home bodgery 😂

Top Bottom