Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I would be interested any recommendations for replacement callipers which can be swapped over to a bottom pull

I thought my chain sounded a little strained on climbing last week so I ordered a new chain and cassette. New chain was fitted tonight and if it doesn't skip on tomorrow's ride, fine, no more fettling for now; if not the new cassette will need fitting. It a bit infuriating I'm having to do all fettling just now by eye as I'm still waiting for my fingertip nerves to grow back post chemo, so I'd rather the former but given a broken link found I'm betting on the latter.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Lovely day here today so after months of inactivity managed to get out on my Fireblade and got out again on the Brommy

655390FF-DF92-4B24-82BA-EAB308738935.jpeg

Gearing and drivetrain are now really good, the new chainwheel and chain has transformed it, so I’m really pleased with the results.

Brakes are crap and beyond repair so I’m definitely swapping them for the later Brompton callipers, I’m also going to change the front tyre for a matching Marathon, it’s currently a horrible ancient Raleigh thing, swap out the scruffy mudguard blades and change the temporary Raleigh saddle for a Brooks, May also change the rollers. I also need to get a bit fitter after the winter lay off as I was knackered!

I should end up with a really nice, well sorted Brompton for the price of an average, shabby and tired example. I’m not going to touch the paintwork (although I have touched it in and cut it back with some cutting polish) as I like the originality and patina, plus I don’t want it to stand out when I take it in to town.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Brompton went through a phase, just after yours was made, of fitting a dual pivot on the front and a single pivot on the rear. This worked fine.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I used to ride my Brompton with the frame clip open, which led to an amusing fall.

I caught one of the pedals on one of those black and yellow plastic road humps - rookie mistake going over it with the pedal in the down position.

Over the bars I went, landing starfished on the road.

I looked up to see my Brommie in the semi folded parked position.

The bike had pivoted on the front wheel in the accident, allowing the rear triangle to swing under and the bike to land on the carrier.

The handlebars had twisted forward in the clamp, but that was easily sorted.

I was on a Sky ride and the assembled company was either baffled or impressed.

Moral of the story is be careful on a Brompton as the pedals go close to the ground - I scraped one a couple of times cornering.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
New Marathon tyres arrived during the week, picked a brand new pair up for £25 delivered which I was pleased with.

Had an afternoon off today so decided to swap them over, what a pig of a job, certainly not for the faint hearted.

Front wheel was easy enough to get off, threw away the bald Raleigh Record and fitted a shiny new marathon. I also managed to knock out a kink in the rim, straighted the wheel, stripped and lubricated the bearings.

Next was the rear, once the wheel was off I cleaned the chainstay and rear mech, the jockey wheels were in surprisingly good condition and responded well to a degrease and fresh oil. The old tyre was well past it’s best.

The 16” tyres are an absolute mare to get on the rim, my method was to use a set of clamps to keep the tyre on the rim, this worked really well.

Once back on I cleaned all the bolts etc with wire wool and paraffin, readjusted the three speed hub and had a quick test run, all felt much smoother and tighter.

This week, most evenings I’ve spending the odd hour here and there sorting out the paintwork, I really want to keep it original as I really like the patina as it tells the story of 20 years of use. So I have carefully touched in the worst of the scratches, cut back the paintwork and polished it. I’ll change the logo for a modern silver one as sadly the originals are no longer available. Edit, after discussions with my daughter we are in agreement that the worn orange decal should stay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’ve also ordered a ton of parts today (I said that this would end up being expensive)

Main changes will be new mudguard blades, Eazy wheels, and new 2018 onwards genuine Brompton brakes with Shimano BL-R550 levers which should transform the bike.

I’ve also sourced a great good used genuine Brompton saddle, a Pentaclip, saddle height sleeve, and a plethora of other odds and sods.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Looks good that.

12boy

Guru
Too pretty to ride. You do fine work, amigo. I love the orange sticker on the black so I agree with your daughter. Those tires are a challenge, for sure. Maybe it's because they've been on and off a few times I can put them on thumbs only. Of course, I have to believe the tire will go on.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Are you sure you want to keep that rear rack:whistle: looking for a 2nd hand one at the moment.

Don't like the front Alu block as i sometimes carry heavy and bulky items.

It's come up really well and amazed you got that for such a low price, but i bet it took some elbow grease:okay:

@Ridgeway let me know if you want the rack as I’m definitely removing it, if you PM me your address I’ll post it to you, it’s a bit scruffy but serviceable.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I Collected a huge box of parts from Brilliant Bikes in Chobham today, interestingly everything I bought from them was much cheaper than eBay (For instance a complete rear mudguard with stays was £35, eBay £56 and that is supposed be be reduced 😮, some clown is trying to sell a pentaclip for over £50 used when BB sell them for £25 new 😂) I’m sure sellers add a special “Brompton Tax”

@JhnBssll is very kindly sending me a set of handlebars, I’m also waiting for a used saddle to arrive, once I’ve got everything I’m going to put a day aside and finish it off.

roley poley

Über Member
nice build .Guess you didn't want to fit the handlebar crossbar you showed us was it too ugly / not needed or that the need for the safety feature was over blown?

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I’m going to fit the later M type bars. My vision/end game is to have a thoroughly sorted modern Brompton but with some patina and character. It’ll have the frame clip, modern seat, seat stem height sleeve and newer brakes just like a brand new bike. Sort of retro modern Brommie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom