Another Brompton Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Love this bike. I'd like to think had I gone down a more 'original-plus' route with mine I'd have come out with something looking as nice as this, but I may be kidding myself :laugh:

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Love this bike. I'd like to think had I gone down a more 'original-plus' route with mine I'd have come out with something looking as nice as this, but I may be kidding myself :laugh:

it still would had purple spoke nipples 😂

straas

Matt
Another quick update, the Brommie is still getting plenty of use, the detachable basket was a great idea and is used regularly for trips to our local shops. It’s had plenty of weight in it and seems really robust.

View attachment 537818

View attachment 537819

View attachment 537820

The Brooks B17 has been removed for another project but has been replaced with a Swift, which I think suits the bike better as it’s slimmer.

View attachment 537817

I’ve also changed the flimsy plastic 3 speed changer

View attachment 537821

Usually with these sort of projects once built, I get a bit bored and move them on, however the Brompton just continues to be a rolling project, if I see an idea I like I then consider adding It.
What basket is that?

straas

Matt
Eurgh - don't have enough long M4 bolts.

I know these are labelled as M4, but just wanted to check they'll definitely work? https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-furniture-screws-m4-x-40mm-6-pack/3243x

Not sure 40mm will be long enough?

straas

Matt
1597410109374.png
1597410129874.png
1597410141448.png

Needs a bit of tidying up, but it's on!

The screwfix bolts were too long in the end, and slightly smaller diameter than I wanted - but it should work ok.

The chinese bracket does feel a bit loose on the brompton mount though, is that fairly normal?

straas

Matt
Working well so far - a couple of beer runs and picked up 10 window openers in it today.

Do you use anything to stop stuff flying out over rough ground? Think I was pretty close to losing a beer on friday!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've got several rucksacks of various sizes. Some of them have a pocket in the base which contains an elasticated rain cover.
Ideal for stretching over the top of the basket.
Most outdoor shops sell the covers separately.

straas

Matt
Ah nice - I must have one lying around somewhere.

So amazing to be able to go into a shop, leave the handlebars up to roll the bike around - then add things to the basket.

There's a lidl about 2km away. Got there & back with shopping in about 20 mins on friday.

Top Bottom