Another curry thread, any good recipes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love a nice curry, my dad is a master at it, and I have tried copying him TO THE LETTER, and mine are always tasteless, boring, and sloppy. I just cannot get it right.

Anybody got any tried and tested curry recipes that are foolproof? And they need to be............

Thanks

OP
OP
I
Go and get one of the jars of curry sauce from the Supermarket, they are foolproof and are £1.00-£2.00 ish. Pataks are good and Aldis and M and S's own. https://www.pataks.co.uk/products/sauces. Instructions are on the back.
Looking for recipes really, but thanks anyway

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Always start with the holy trinity - onion, garlic and ginger. Add mustard seeds, then use chillies and cumin seeds for heat, tumeric and coriander give aromatic flavour. I use either a tomato base, or coconut milk, depending on the style of curry. No curry is ever the same.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I find that Patak's curry paste is hard to beat if you want the simple route. Their Vindaloo is not hot enough for me so always add a few bonnet chillies.

Sweet and sour balti

I think this is a really nice curry - and really quick and easy to cook.

I've got the recipe in a cookbook but googled it and the linked page has exactly the same recipe.

Try it. It's a lot nicer than it sounds.

Graham

winjim

Smash the cistern
I like Jamie Oliver's Keralan and his Gurkha chicken, both dead easy. I also usually have a jar of home-made Thai red or green paste lurking in the fridge. Keep all the ingredients in the freezer and just lash it together in the blender when you need it.

I try and use whole spices rather than powdered as I think they keep their flavour better, and there's very little that can't be improved by the addition of half a bunch of fresh coriander.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Pataks jars? Come on, they're ok for mid week convenience but it's not really cooking.

The best curries I've done were from a UK website called curry frenzy (just Google it and the first hit is the one), their recipes are as close as you'll get to Indian restaurant styles and that's what they're aiming for. The dhansak recipe is as good as any, hot, sour and sweet, and full of depth.
I agree with @winjim that some roughly chopped coriander (do include the chopped stalks) stirred in for the final minute makes a difference.

Top Bottom