Another curry thread, any good recipes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
My hot chicken curry

Dry roast in a pan
2 tsp hot chilli flakes
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick

Grind spices in a pestle and mortar or blender and add

1 inch fresh ginger
4-5 cloves garlic
1 fresh red chilli
4 tbsp white wine vinegar

Place the mixture in a food bag and add

1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chill powder
1 tsp turmeric

Add chopped chicken and marinate for for at least 3 hours or as long as possible (I give it at least 8)

Place a packet of tomatoes in boiling water to remove the skins (or use a tin of tomatoes if you can't be bothered, I've tried both and fresh tomatoes works best)

Chop & fry 2 onions & chop the skinned tomatoes, when the onions have a bit of colour add the marinated chicken, cook for 5 minutes then add the tomatoes and a tbsp of tomato purée. Stir, cover and simmer until the chicken is almost cooked.

Remove the lid add 1 tsp Garam Masala and simmer until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked.

I oven roast a few red peppers cut into large chunks and add these to the curry while its cooking

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
We're just entering courgette glut season; if you're not growing them yourself, ask any gardener if s/he wants to get rid of a load! This recipe, with occasional variations from the basic ingredients and instructions, is a regular in this household, in fact I'm making it today. As noted, the "meatballs" freeze well.
The book this is copied from, Madhur Jaffrey's "Eastern Vegetarian Cooking" is worth looking out for - it may be out of print; it's possible you'll find one in a charity shop, but unlikely, as it's one that people seem to hang on to, for some reason. ^_^

Edited: whatever recipes you choose to follow, always buy whole spices, preferably from an Indian shop, and grind them just before use, if the recipe calls for ground spices. Learn the Indian names for spices - they won't always be labelled with an anglicised name!

Last edited:
I love a nice curry, my dad is a master at it, and I have tried copying him TO THE LETTER, and mine are always tasteless, boring, and sloppy. I just cannot get it right.

If this were me, what I would do is either invite my dad over or go to his place, and make a curry with his supervision. Either let him instruct you like you were an apprentice chef, or have him stand back and watch you like a hawk, intervening only if you do something wrong.

If you still can't reproduce his curries then it's time to try the suggestions here. If you can produce it perfectly, you can still try the suggestions here, because there is no such thing as too many different curries.

keithmac

Guru
I find that Patak's curry paste is hard to beat if you want the simple route. Their Vindaloo is not hot enough for me so always add a few bonnet chillies.

Have you tried their Phal, it's actually pretty good for a jar!.

My wife does a cracking Lamb Karahi made from scratch with ghee, we saw it on one of Rick Stein's cooking programs and gave it a go.

keithmac

Guru
It's got a very distinctive sour/ lime taste to it, I'm gradually getting addicted to it I think..

20170508_185857.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
Today I had a go at Jamie Oliver's (yes him again) Balinese chicken curry and bloody lovely it was too. It's mild and fruity, with cashew nuts, kaffir lime, mango and coconut milk. The only thing I'd do differently is not bother with the chilli and lemongrass sprinkle but just lob a lemongrass into the paste first thing. Oh yeah, and I left out the 'shrooms because they're minging. Definitely one I'll do again though. Yum.

Oh yeah, and my two year old ate it so it can't be bad.

Last edited:

dodgy

I like to cook a curry from base ingredients from time to time. Most of the good ones follow the same routine. Fry onions, add garlic and ginger, fry a bit more, add your spices then 'dry fry' the meat in all that. Once the meat is cooked, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, stir and add a some natural yoghurt then leave to simmer.

Sprinkle some fresh coriander to add some visual appeal and taste.
It's almost indistinguishable from a good High St style curry house.

Edit: This is one I cook often, I'm doing it tonight actually :smile: http://www.route79.com/food/rogan-josh.htm

Brandane

Legendary Member
Take a few chicken breasts, marinade overnight in Walkerswood Jamaican jerk seasoning.
upload_2017-8-25_19-57-3.png

Buy a jar of Pataks curry sauce of your choice, and add the seasoned chicken to it. Cook as per instructions on the jar of curry sauce. Done.

Top Bottom