Another Cyclist dies at Bow Roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
http://www.keltbray.com/news/keltbray-achieves-fors-gold

Dont think much of the scheme tbh. Shocked at the amount of accidents in the last few days. When they are making top billing on national radio surely the powers that be have to act.

RIP to the deceased.
wre all of the last incidents by Keltbray ?

Not victim blaming or trying to defend any hauliers but nobody drives perfectlt 100% . even me. I try but it is impossible to be 100% at everything all the time.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
People make bad judgements all the time no matter how they move around but it's always the heavy vehicle that inflicts the damage.
wre all of the last incidents by Keltbray ?

Not victim blaming or trying to defend any hauliers but nobody drives perfectlt 100% . even me. I try but it is impossible to be 100% at everything all the time.

Same with my cycling.I try to be perfect but i know im not and make misjudgements and mistakes.

Davidsw8

I don't want it to look like I'm jumping to anyone's defence, but I drive around central London every day in a Tesco artic and feel like I really need eyes in the back of my head and up my a**e to be able to keep tabs on all the cyclists these days. We really need segregated lanes for bikes with a physical barrier so that these tragedy's become a thing of the past. It's great that so many people have taken up cycling (I'm one of them) but it seems that the infrastructure just isn't there to give cyclists the space and safety that they need.
Drove past the scene at Aldgate at 3am this morning where yet another cyclist had been killed and it made me wonder whether I really want to keep on chancing it myself when I'm out cycling.
So sad..........

I think there is room for massive improvement in the behaviour of everyone who uses the roads but I tend to agree with you here Louie. When I've been on buses going through Central London and the driver has half a dozen cyclists within inches of both sides of the bus, I think it's a miracle that at least one of them doesn't get at least knocked.

I really don't know if segregation is the answer but cyclists are so vulnerable and the competancy of them varies so wildly maybe it is the way to go.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Are there any white bikes at Bow Roundabout as memorials to the fallen? If not there should be, quite a few.
To my knowledge there are none at bow.

A ghost bike was put in place in Croydon last year to remember the fatality that we had. However the council removed it :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
To my knowledge there are none at bow.

A ghost bike was put in place in Croydon last year to remember the fatality that we had. However the council removed it :sad:

Thanks Gaz. There should be a memorial though the number of lives that have been lost here. Bow Roundabout Cemetery.

I just hope TFL or the Highways Agency get sued as they are clearly failing in their duty of care to make the junction safe for cyclists and other vulnerable road users to use.

Reactions: gaz

kmcyc

I arrived at the Bow Roundabout that morning about 20 minutes after the accident happened. A terribly sad day. I found it difficult to concentrate on anything else for most of it, particularly once I read the news. Only two weeks before at that same location I had a near miss with a lorry who failed to stop for their red signal:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMtxGrfUdTU
. I have written to my MP, Boris, TfL, DfT, CTC, British Cycling requesting a review of the CS2 Extension design so that cyclists can again access the Flyover and have asked for a review on the restriction of the movement of large vehicles during peak travel hours. Lessons must be learned from the spate of tragedies that have happened this month.

Dina

Thank you all for your support. I wrote to reporters and I believe some witnesses will come forward.

kmcyc, I am glad you are all right, you are very lucky. Thank you a lot for being so active. I wish they had an opportunity to seriously consider these concerns before death of Venera.

Last edited:
Interesting comment on the victim-blaming we're seeing:

Often these details don't emerge until the inquest. The Evening Standard does a good job of reporting them for London deaths.

There's often a 'fog of war' effect here too. For example, there have been reports that shortly before being hit by a bus, the chap who was hit on November 13 and died in the small hours of November 14, had ridden the wrong way out of Leman Street. But it's not clear if that had anything to do with the collision, and the source is TfL, whose representatives were reported to be extremely robust in their defence of the original Cycle Superhighway design of Bow roundabout at the inquest in the death of Brian Dorling. TfL was warned by London Cycling Campaign and their own engineering consultants that the design of CS2 was dangerous, but they built it anyway.

A few weeks ago, the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to bring a case against TfL after the death of Deep Lee at King's Cross, in large part because the junction where she died had been designed before the corporate manslaughter law was introduced.

(Details here: http://kingscrossenvironment.com/20...-charges-over-2011-kings-cross-cyclist-death/)

TfL has no such escape clause in the case of CS2 and it's obvious from their conduct at the Dorling inquest, their attempt to defame the man who died on November 14 and Boris Johnson's subsequent remarks about cyclists who take risks that the Mayor and TfL are, to put it bluntly, shitting themselves.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/17/cyclists-dead-london-roads-safer?commentpage=1

albion

Guru
'Next to plastic bollards and white tape printed with, "Police inner cordon", one note reads..
"RIP to the lady killed here this morning and thoughts go to her family. TfL, you are to blame for this … The CS2 is not safe and you have allowed cyclists to die needlessly!! Shame on you." '

Top Bottom