Another Cyclist dies at Bow Roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1468759_10151986587248959_1824894460_n.jpg

Danny

Legendary Member
Not Bow Roundabout, but another cyclist was killed in London today - see here.

albion

Guru
"More than 100 cyclists were stopped at Vauxhall Bridge Road over "concerns about their behaviour" such as cutting corners or wearing headphones while riding."

You really do wonder about the timing of this.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
"More than 100 cyclists were stopped at Vauxhall Bridge Road over "concerns about their behaviour" such as cutting corners or wearing headphones while riding."

Is the quote on its own? I'm not sure what your source is. The Met Police's press statement is here - http://www.met.police.uk/pressbureau/Bur18/page10.htm and contains a fair bit more. I have to admit though that their press release about the man who died under a bus in Whitechapel ends with ''The cyclist was not wearing a helmet at the time of the collision.'' It's a putain bus, for God's sake, what helmet is going to withstand that?

Crankarm

Guru

Errr ......... no. I think the Police may be just as concerned as us cyclists about OUR SAFETY and the high loss of cyclist's lives recently. Here is the full text from which you cherry picked. I am sure the Police take no comfort from attending RTAs where a cyclist has been seriously injured / killed.

The fatality came as Metropolitan Police traffic officers gave road safety advice to cyclists and more than 70 lorry drivers at Vauxhall Bridge Road, Whitechapel High Street and Albert Embankment.

More than 100 cyclists were stopped at Vauxhall Bridge Road over "concerns about their behaviour" such as cutting corners or wearing headphones while riding.

Cyclists are also being encouraged to wear a helmet and a high-visibility jacket.

Assistant Commissioner Simon Byrne said all 2,500 officers from Traffic and Safer Transport Commands were now being deployed to speak to all road users.

"Our activity will be targeted at all road users, during morning and evening rush hours, who are using our roads dangerously, without consideration or care, to reinforce the point that we all have a duty to be safe on our roads," he said.

"Each and every death is a needless tragedy, the human cost of which should never be forgotten."
More than 100 cyclists were stopped at Vauxhall Bridge Road over "concerns about their behaviour" such as cutting corners or wearing headphones while riding.

Cyclists are also being encouraged to wear a helmet and a high-visibility jacket.

Assistant Commissioner Simon Byrne said all 2,500 officers from Traffic and Safer Transport Commands were now being deployed to speak to all road users.

"Our activity will be targeted at all road users, during morning and evening rush hours, who are using our roads dangerously, without consideration or care, to reinforce the point that we all have a duty to be safe on our roads," he said.

"Each and every death is a needless tragedy, the human cost of which should never be forgotten."

albion

Guru
...Here is the full text from which you cherry picked....
Yes I cherry picked but waiting a while before giving cyclists a talking to would inflame matters less. And that arse Boris was also playing the crowd hinting at 'they are to blame'.

On one of my routes I have some I say 'no go' to. For safety reasons the council can't proclaim my narrow footpath alternative as a cycle route. But at least they are not stupid enough to make the dual carriageway a cycleway.

Crankarm

Guru
Yes I cherry picked but waiting a while before giving cyclists a talking to would inflame matters less. And that arse Boris was also playing the crowd hinting at 'they are to blame'.

On one of my routes I have some I say 'no go' to. For safety reasons the council can't proclaim my narrow footpath alternative as a cycle route. But at least they are not stupid enough to make the dual carriageway a cycleway.

Ehh? You mean police should wait a few days, a few weeks, a few months, how ever long would be needed so certain people, people like you, wouldn't become inflamed before giving them advice that just MIGHT save yours and others lives in the meantime. Wow, that would be callous! As much as I have been very critical of the police in the past they are trying to do something to improve things for cyclists with the limited resources they have. Presumably a police presence at hazardous junctions in itself would hopefully deter dangerous, reckless or careless driving or cycling and prevent further cyclists injuries and deaths. This has got to be a good thing.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Rightly or wrongly, police policy was to hit all road users. Advice to cyclists, advice to drivers in ASZs, and nicks for illegal truckers, all at the same time.

albion

Guru
Well, they apparently now have advance low level lights at Bow now.

Sadly this also means you can get a head start straight into the path of oncoming vehicle red light jumpers.

albion

Guru
What changes to the existing proven dangers have been achieved.
How many deaths were caused by setting off too early or too late?

Is it just a placebo until the next fatality here?
Lots of questions.

Top Bottom