Another Cyclist dies at Bow Roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 2769000, member: 9609"]This is an incredibly bad idea; A truck is not like a car where it is obvious you have a flat, damage a tyre on twin wheel at the rear of an eight wheeler and the driver may not realise, that damaged tyre could fail or cause another failure when the truck is at speed or cornering - the consequences may not be what you intended.

May be a way forward would be to put pressure on the construction companies that hire in the tippers to ensure the tippers are driven without incident. In the same way publicans can be held responsible for idiots causing problems near their pubs, some responsibility should be put on the developers to ensure their hauliers are the best and safest money can buy[/quote]
I've gone on protest rides, written letters to MPs, signed petitions, done all the legal stuff. Result 5 dead in 9 days. It's not meant to be a ''good idea,'' it's an idea born of desperation, and as such is appropriate to the carnage down here. But I'll not discuss at any further on a public forum.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
RIP....:sad:

Again.

Getting a little bit sick of this.......

When will our supposed leaders do ANYTHING to protect us?

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 2769000, member: 9609"]This is an incredibly bad idea; A truck is not like a car where it is obvious you have a flat, damage a tyre on twin wheel at the rear of an eight wheeler and the driver may not realise, that damaged tyre could fail or cause another failure when the truck is at speed or cornering - the consequences may not be what you intended.

May be a way forward would be to put pressure on the construction companies that hire in the tippers to ensure the tippers are driven without incident. In the same way publicans can be held responsible for idiots causing problems near their pubs, some responsibility should be put on the developers to ensure their hauliers are the best and safest money can buy[/quote]
responsible constructors like the one I work for do do this. there is also the FORS scheme run by TfL which you need to be a member of to work for most of the MCG ( main contractor group) Member companies.

its knee jerk reactions that cause long term problems but something does need to be done. I wish i knew what.

the justice system taking deaths and injuries and incidents involving cyclists seriously and using the powers available .

kill a cyclist get a caution , kill a dog get 6 months inside.

The suggestion of banning lorries to night time may save a life but I doubt it , and do those cycling at night have any less right to life than those cycling in the day. If you move construction lorries to night then you will need sites to work nights and that means people getting into work at night. guess what. they include cyclists. and what next ban Buses at night too as they have killed a large proportion of the cyclists too.

you also have the issue of the Pollution act which prohibits noisy works at night such as loading a tipper. we cant fart after 6pm without the local residents kicking off. Thats in the centre of the city where not many people live in the grand scheme of things. try that in a residential area and its just not going to happen.

don't suggest the load up during the day and drive them at night - there is nowhere to park that amount of vehicles on a site and still be able to work. How far do take the rules on which company is responsible. You can have company A having spoil removed and company B receiving it using Lorry X . where does the responsibility lie - equally ? love to see the legals arguing that one out in court.

One death is too many, but this many on one stretch of road leads me to believe that its not just the road users that need to be looked at ( and that includes EVERYBODY) bu the actua infrastructure itself.

No responsible designer should be content with something that is leading to so many fatalities without wanting an independent review if only to show they are not at fault. and by independent I mean truly independent.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
responsible constructors like the one I work for do do this. there is also the FORS scheme run by TfL which you need to be a member of to work for most of the MCG ( main contractor group) Member companies.

http://www.keltbray.com/news/keltbray-achieves-fors-gold

Dont think much of the scheme tbh. Shocked at the amount of accidents in the last few days. When they are making top billing on national radio surely the powers that be have to act.

RIP to the deceased.

MattyKo

Exceeding SORRY to hear of a further death of a person that always comes off the worse following contact with those that are in (and also on a lesser extent "on") motorised vehicles, in any adverse traffic event. (Not really accidents and collisions most definitely not).

As mentioned previously following the MILE END incident I hope that a serious discussion shall be listened to about the simple answers available to us to reduce and prevent future traffic events resulting in the same or similar consequences.

I understand from The Guardian newspaper either the Mayor or someone from TFL is already suggesting that although no conversation can express the sympathies to the families of those that have recently "passed" whilst travelling in the capital on a cycle, the figures for the year should be viewed with consideration to the threefold increase in cycle traffic over the past few years.

As great as it is to see people on cycles (as great as it is to get onto a cycle); are all motorised vehicle journeys necessary, and are the goods vehicle drivers sufficiently aware and considerate to those that employ two feet to get about, rather than two feet to press pedals in vehicles they neither own nor bare the cost to insure.

Last edited:

Linford

If this were a pothole, then the highways would have a duty of care to put it right once notified, and if they failed to do that, then the would be left wide open for litigation.

This sounds like a duty of care issue now where they are concerned. They clearly need to look again at this one :sad:

Louie

Regular
I don't want it to look like I'm jumping to anyone's defence, but I drive around central London every day in a Tesco artic and feel like I really need eyes in the back of my head and up my a**e to be able to keep tabs on all the cyclists these days. We really need segregated lanes for bikes with a physical barrier so that these tragedy's become a thing of the past. It's great that so many people have taken up cycling (I'm one of them) but it seems that the infrastructure just isn't there to give cyclists the space and safety that they need.
Drove past the scene at Aldgate at 3am this morning where yet another cyclist had been killed and it made me wonder whether I really want to keep on chancing it myself when I'm out cycling.
So sad..........

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Like but dont like, I read about one cyclist getting hit by a bus in South Croydon and a hit and run by a truck outside the city :sad:
Do you have a source on the one in South Croydon?
There was a cyclist by east croydon station that was hit by a bus on tuesday and unfortunately he died.

htid

Regular
Do you have a source on the one in South Croydon?
There was a cyclist by east croydon station that was hit by a bus on tuesday and unfortunately he died.

I'd like to know this too, as I also live in South Croydon and haven't heard anything. Croydon Guardian hasn't got anything either. Think he must mean East Croydon.

simon.r

Person
My son has started commuting recently, from Stratford to near Liverpool Street. Is he likely to use this roundabout? He was knocked off his bike by a van on Monday evening (no serious injuries, just a few cuts and bruises), but when I spoke to him he wasn't sure of the exact location (i.e. road names etc).

If Bow roundabout is on his route is it worth avoiding (bearing in mind he is a relatively inexperienced cyclist)? Any locals know of a sensible alternative route?

Well, this has hit home. I've been talking to my son over the last few days and he has now confirmed that he was knocked off about 200 yards before the flyover (heading East) on Monday evening. It seems as if a van side-swiped him as it was swapping lanes from right to left, despite the fact that he was riding perfectly correctly on the left of the road. Fortunately he didn't suffer any serious injuries, but it could have been worse...

He's had the police around to take a statement but they're not going to take any action against the driver. What a surprise:angry:

He tells me that he rides over the flyover (rather than round the roundabout) as he sees lots of other cyclists do that and he thinks it's the safest way. I don't know the area at all so can't comment on that.

Although my son's 24 and big and ugly enough to take care of himself it does bring home to me the fact that the poor young lady who died will have left grieving relatives and friends. My sincere condolences.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well, this has hit home. I've been talking to my son over the last few days and he has now confirmed that he was knocked off about 200 yards before the flyover (heading East) on Monday evening. It seems as if a van side-swiped him as it was swapping lanes from right to left, despite the fact that he was riding perfectly correctly on the left of the road. Fortunately he didn't suffer any serious injuries, but it could have been worse...

He's had the police around to take a statement but they're not going to take any action against the driver. What a surprise:angry:

He tells me that he rides over the flyover (rather than round the roundabout) as he sees lots of other cyclists do that and he thinks it's the safest way. I don't know the area at all so can't comment on that.

Although my son's 24 and big and ugly enough to take care of himself it does bring home to me the fact that the poor young lady who died will have left grieving relatives and friends. My sincere condolences.
That by far is the safest way, though in the past I've come across a string of speeding vehicles turning left making it impossible to get out of the left hand lane. Even then, being forced round the roundabout is safe enough if your riding is safe enough.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's been asked before, can people please not bicker over things in this thread. Especially about things that are not relevant with this incident.

In case you missed it, a family member of the cyclist has posted in this thread.

Shaun

Founder
Yes, please keep posts in this thread on topic. If any of you would like to discuss other incidents please post in the respective threads or start a new one.

Many thanks,
Shaun

Top Bottom