Another cyclist jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See also the case of 5yr old Lennon Toland, killed on a pavement by a van driver accessing a makeshift car park. Council subsequently installed bollards to block it but they were ripped out by vandals and that company's vans are still using it. Nobody was even charged, let alone tried.
Like @Slick with my link, I couldn't get through that article.
The driver was found not guilty, thus you need to be careful how you describe the incident.
I'm not asking them to use "mown down". In fact, I'd rather the BBC never used that tabloid language. But how about "knocked down" for the cyclist, and "run over" for the van driver?

Note: I am happy that peanut cyclist is in jail. I just think that anyone who drives on a pavement that they don't know 100% is clear of people should also go to jail if they hit someone, no matter how upset they are.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
No it isn’t. It’s context that helps to understand the story. Yes, the cyclist is guilty of a crime but the 27 week sentence is ridiculously excessive and looking at comparable cases and the way they are reported helps to highlight the underlying anti-cyclist agenda.
Using it as context is fair enough but if the discussion continues to be about the incident with the van rather than the one with the cyclist then it will need to be in a thread of its own.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think what did it for this chap is that he was warned not to ride in the pedestrianised area just the day before. He had his chance to modify his behaviour and didn't, and the Court will regard that with a solemn frown.

The rhetoric around cyclists collisions is definitely skewed though. Badly injure a kid and (quite rightly) then press portray you as a slavering loon who eats orphans for breakfast. Kill 8 with your HGV and you're simply a "36 year old Romanian lorry driver" - the press rarely seem keen to whip up hysteria towards their motorised brethren

I cant see how anyone can think he was hard done by .
I don't think anyone thinks he is hard done by.

There's really not much to say about this case, which is why we quickly drifted off topic.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I do. I think the sentence is wildly excessive and I’m disappointed that the general kneejerk reaction is hang’im and flog’im.
I agree. He's a young idiot and should be held to account, but six months reflects a vengeful hysteria among the population at large rather than even an attempt at justice. The question is not whether it's 'fair' - you can argue about that endlessly without getting anywhere - but whether it's proportionate to sentences for comparable offences. When, as noted above, a driver can be let off scot-free after crushing a child on a pavement, it's hard to see how the answer can be anything but no.

Top Bottom