Another cyclist jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks, @mjr, that's really useful info. And it all chimes with what I instinctively know to be true - not least based on my Bromley experience.

I've had a look at Windsor on Google maps and there is a cycle route along the river but it's not clear if it really constitutes a viable alternative to Peascod Street. I also note that one of the main roads bypassing the town centre has been narrowed to provide parking along one side of the road.

Thanks, @mjr, that's really useful info. And it all chimes with what I instinctively know to be true - not least based on my Bromley experience.

I've had a look at Windsor on Google maps and there is a cycle route along the river but it's not clear if it really constitutes a viable alternative to Peascod Street. I also note that one of the main roads bypassing the town centre has been narrowed to provide parking along one side of the road.
All pretty irrelevant in this case. The B roads are pretty good around Windsor, and he was heading to Legoland, which unavoidably would take him on the most dangerous of them.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
[QUOTE 5026919, member: 9609"]bit of a joke 27 weeks, will probably be out in 9. should have been at least a year, two would be more like it.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any ideas on how we fund the additional resources and prison building to make your custodial desires a reality?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All pretty irrelevant in this case. The B roads are pretty good around Windsor, and he was heading to Legoland, which unavoidably would take him on the most dangerous of them.
Pretty irrelevant to why cycling's banned on Peascod Street. There looks to be a defined carriageway and farking delivery lorries are allowed on 6am-10am and 5pm-8pm (recently shortened) but not cycles ever. The only impediment I've spotted is one cafe having seating blocking the carriageway (10am-5pm only?). It's rather incomprehensible why the council didn't implement the 30-year-old guidance and allow cycling the last time they remade the traffic order to change the delivery times.
e=640x640&pano=lX_ODcSkoMmlPDX8lqRA4A&heading=237.20760728253782&fov=29.034712981436485&pitch=-1.jpg

It's also noticeable that "no cycling" at the castle end is missing from the large, noticeable, main restriction sign and is on a CCTV post on the opposite corner, further away from the entrance to the road. A cynic would say that the sign positions are designed to be more difficult for cyclists than motorists.
e=640x640&pano=lX_ODcSkoMmlPDX8lqRA4A&heading=217.91434859564615&fov=89.99999999999999&pitch=-14.jpg

OK, the pedestrianised street is busy and you'd have to go slow (the cobbled sections would surely slow most cyclists anyway!), but the alternative roads seem hogged by motorists. Turning 90 degrees:
streetview?size=640x640&pano=lX_ODcSkoMmlPDX8lqRA4A&heading=326.442352491307&fov=20&pitch=-2.jpg

That's a bit of an aside though, as the cyclist in the OP should have been investigated over the collision, regardless of the restriction.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This is the Google view of Victoria Street, which looks like the most obvious legal route for getting from the Castle to the other end of Peascod Street - road narrowed due to parking provision along one side, delivery lorry on double yellows on the other...
Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 12.46.58.png

It doesn't in any way excuse the idiot but you can see why someone might choose to ride along Peascod Street rather than this.

Reactions: mjr

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
[QUOTE 5036967, member: 9609"]It is the deterrent factor of prison that I feel is the most important, it is the consequence that most frightens me and as such I guess the consequence that will most likely deter others.[/quote]

When it comes to motoring offences, fear of the consequences is somewhat negated by poor enforcement - based on past experience, motorists (and cyclists) generally expect to get away with it...

Put up taxes and build more prisons

Yes, we really do need to bring back Victorian values. That's exactly what would solve the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom