Another cyclist killed on a TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I drive that way along the A50 fairly often and have been past a few times while TTs have been taking place. Personally I think it is a very dangerous road to hold races on. It's a 70mph dual carriageway with no hard shoulder and a lot of HGV traffic as it is a motorway link road between the M1 and M6.

I remember the first time I came across it, I saw a man sitting on a chair on one of the roundabouts with a flag and wondering what the hell he was doing. And then shortly afterwards I overtook a cyclist and thought that he must have a death wish. 30 seconds later there was another cyclist and I was still wondering what was going on. It wasn't until the 3rd cyclist that I'd clocked that there was an event on and to anticipate more cyclists up ahead.

In defence, most of the participants do have decent lights which you can spot from quite far back in the daytime (assume it's compulsory), and most cars and HGVs do move over completely into the outside lane to overtake the cyclists. However there is always the one driver who either hasn't noticed or can't be bothered to change lanes and buzzes the cyclists at a speed difference of 40-50mph. The consequences of being rear ended at those closing speeds don't bear thinking about. It can also be confusing for impatient drivers when HGVs seem to be hogging the outside lane when the inside lane is seemingly clear and so they try to undertake...except they haven't clocked the cyclist a bit further ahead which the HGV driver had pulled out in good time to overtake.

I really don't see the appeal of racing on such a course unless you are a proper adrenaline junkie. Is it a particularly fast course or something? (it's a horribly noisy concrete road surface to drive on, is concrete faster than tarmac for cycling?) I just don't think it's worth the risk personally.

The road is benign. Its is the car drivers who are dangerous, and it is for the authorities to stop them from doing so, not for people to avoid lawful activities to enable them to continue.
I would argue that the fact it is a straight and boring road to drive on makes it even more dangerous to cycle on. Drivers aren't paying attention, it's easy to 'accidentally' break the speed limit, and there is a high volume of HGV traffic limited to 56mph which can be frustrating for impatient drivers if it is 'blocking' the inside lane.

It's a risk management thing. I accept that there is some element of risk in my daily commute. However there are things I can do to to reduce that risk such as cycling assertively but sensibly, not putting myself in harm's way, and anticipating dopey driving at particular junctions. Drivers are also generally used to encountering cyclists on city roads with a speed limit of 30-40mph. The most likely 'bad' outcomes are things like left/right hooks or colliding with suicidal pedestrians which could lead to nasty injuries or death but are reasonably survivable compared to getting rear ended at a speed difference of 40-50mph, of which you can do little to prevent if a driver isn't paying attention.

There is no way for the 'authorities' to ensure that every driver using the A50 during a TT is driving sensibly, some people will drive like numpties regardless. And at the end of the day I would rather be alive than dead in the knowledge that I was doing nothing wrong!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I remember the first time I came across it, I saw a man sitting on a chair on one of the roundabouts with a flag and wondering what the hell he was doing. And then shortly afterwards I overtook a cyclist and thought that he must have a death wish. 30 seconds later there was another cyclist and I was still wondering what was going on. It wasn't until the 3rd cyclist that I'd clocked that there was an event on and to anticipate more cyclists up ahead.
So the warning triangles with a bike symbol in them and the "Cycle Event" caption (used by every TT I've seen since I don't know when, so I suspect use is compulsory) weren't enough to tip you off, then?

It's a risk management thing. I accept that there is some element of risk in my daily commute. However there are things I can do to to reduce that risk such as cycling assertively but sensibly, not putting myself in harm's way, and anticipating dopey driving at particular junctions. Drivers are also generally used to encountering cyclists on city roads with a speed limit of 30-40mph.
So what do you think that cyclists who live outside cities should do? Just give up cycling?

If motorists are making the A50 unsafe, then a lane should be barricaded off to provide safe space for non-motorised users until motorists can be regulated properly.

Crossing slip roads on major A roads is a frightening experience. The exposure to joining traffic is just too long for safety, speeds too high and drivers are looking back to check for free space, not foward for small, unexpected, slow moving bikes. Legal or not, avoid if you can.

Open road TTs are risky. I hope the risk assessments have been adequately carried out and implemented. RIP to the riders and condolences to the friends and family.

Noru

Extremely sad news but I hate to say it not terribly surprising.

I know the A50 well used to pass the TT cyclists regularly when I used drive between Uttoxeter and Toyota island as part of my old commute.

It's a horrible 70mph duel carriage way used excessively by haulage companies to get from the M6 / Stoke accross to the M1 / East Midlands Airport. It was originally planned in the 1970s as a motorway (the M64) but got cancelled. Then in the 1990s they built it as a cheaper but much more dangerous concrete surfaced NSL duel carriageway instead.

The only glimmer of hope is a call to reduce the speed limit & modify it following several HGVs rolling over at the Blythe Bridge roundabout, sadly even then it wouldn't be likely that the speed limit would be reduced on the long stretches between the roundabouts.
But generally it's a dangerous road crying out for safety improvements.

I've broken down on it in my car & motorcycle and it's pretty terrifying to stand at the side of. I imagine it's similar to how breaking down on a 'smart' motorway with no hardshoulder will be.

I know it's a road we can legally cycle on but I avoid it at all costs.

For those in the area not in a race there are minor roads & less risky A-roads that run not far from parallel to it and there is also an off road cycle lane between Uttoxeter and Doveridge.

I see the appeal to the TT cyclists as it's flat and fast with few junctions but I'm no where near brave enough to ride there.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
A Motorway would be a less hazardous environment to TT on than that particular road, in that you could at least have a greater degree of separation via use of the hard shoulder.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Rather than trying to analyse why the cyclist died or if it was his fault or whether he should have been riding on that road, I think we should stick to expressing our sadness at the cyclist's death. That's why I created the thread.
Aye. I assume there'll be various levels of official investigation and conclusions, some of which won't hesitate to blame the rider or organisers if it is.

Top Bottom