Another cyclist left for dead by a hit & run driver (in Blantyre)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Scots cyclist rushed to hospital with spinal fractures after hit-and-run driver 'left him for dead' - Daily Record

" NHS worker Mark Richards was cycling on Glasgow Road around 11.30am on Saturday when he was hit by the vehicle, believed to be a dark coloured Vauxhall Insignia. His wife Carol added: "Mark has been admitted to the QEUH with spinal fractures. He is a much loved husband and father who is very fit and active and has worked for the NHS for over 30 years."
blantyre hit&run.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Ouch Ouch Ouch!

Firstly, i hope he makes a full recovery and secondly, i hope they catch that pathetic excuse for a human being that drove off and throw the book at them...

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Ouch Ouch Ouch!

Firstly, i hope he makes a full recovery and secondly, i hope they catch that pathetic excuse for a human being that drove off and throw the book at them...

The last one I recall getting caught and prosecuted was the pensioner who rammed a cyclist from behind, flinging him into a deep ditch with a broken back and leg on a moor road and then farked off. The guy was extremely fortunate that another motorist later spotted his hand waving from the ditch and stopped.

That driver was fined £330 and 4 points put on his licence. A farking joke.🤬

Cyclist left for dead with broken back after horror hit-and-run incident near Glasgow - Daily Record

Drago

Legendary Member
If there's any justice this guy will be a proctologist, and the Insignia driver will be admitted to hospital with a very bad dose of the Nurembergs.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No chance. Plod are not interested unless there is a camera recording of it. Even then they seldom can be arsed. Easier to sit on their fat arses with a speed gun.
There is that but the fact he's a 'frontline' worher (NHS) may put a bit of pressure on them to get their fingers out (for a change)

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

No chance. Plod are not interested unless there is a camera recording of it. Even then they seldom can be arsed. Easier to sit on their fat arses with a speed gun.

To be fair, the police in the incident from 2016 did a sterling job tracing the offender. There was no video evidence from the collision, only grainy images from the CCTV cameras in the village he lived in, showing his car pass by shops etc. some time later. Subsequently forensic evidence linked the car to the collision.

Why he was allowed to plead guilty only to careless driving and not prosecuted for failing to stop and failing to report is a mystery. But that's the PF's fault, not the police.

Drago

Legendary Member
Plod are very interested in such matters. However, not being Gypsy fortune tellers with crystal balls they rely on this thing called "evidence". Without that there is little they can do, no matter how much they'd like to.

Now, for reasons I won't bore you with I'm not a fan of Police Jockland. Nevertheless, in this case all the have is a style and colour of car, and a possible make and model. I don't know thst area, but unless it is rich with ANPR on that very stretch theyre reliant on dashcams and witnesses, and although its a long shot it is possble a VRM might cone to light. And even if they get a VRM there's a fair chance the vehicle isn't registered when one considers how keen the driver was not to hang about.

If the car wasn't registered, but by utter chance it is stopped tomorrow the driver need only claim they just bought bought it and its down to the Feds to prove otherwise, which clearly they can't. And so the game rumbles on...

So don't confuse lack of action with lack of willingness.

Last edited:

Dwn

I’ve often cycled up that road on the way to my daughters house, and it isn’t one of those roads where drivers can suddenly come upon a bike as they go round a bend. It’s pretty open, and for a driver to hit a cyclist implies a pretty major lack of attention on someone’s part. Hopefully the victim recovers, and the police do catch the driver, but the chances are against it.

It’s always a bit sobering to read of a cyclist being killed or injured, especially when it’s close to home, but I remind myself that these things make the news because they are exceptional events rather than routine ones.

Top Bottom