Another "e-bike" death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
It came down rapidly when officers were given the power to ram them. With or without a helmet on.
That power was never removed. Operationally they stopped doing it until they had worked out a way to do it safely without killing the rider or any pedestrians. It is now a specific part of Police Driver training. The same tactic would work with e-motorcycles except that unlike their petrol equivalents, they are much, much faster and more responsive. No gears to change and all the speed available straight away. Plus far more riders without any safety clothing.

Jody

Stubborn git
That power was never removed. It is now a specific part of Police Driver training.

I thought being able to ram riders was specific to the MET?

Operationally they stopped doing it until they had worked out a way to do it safely without killing the rider

Play silly games......

An article I saw - I think it was on the BBC - included an interview with a rider

He commented that it was fun and all that

he also mentioned that there was a possibility that the Police could confiscate it
and that he had had 3-4 of his taken!

err - those things cost £1500-£2000
so he has lost bike costing £4500-£6000

wonder where he is getting that money??

maybe just a very generous aunty??

tinywheels

Über Member
An article I saw - I think it was on the BBC - included an interview with a rider

he also mentioned that there was a possibility that the Police could confiscate it

I would suggest a large percentage are stolen, so he will just purloin a replacement.
it appears the electric bike is now the weapon of choice for your neighbourhood scallywags.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wonder what Sur Ron think about all this? Their bikes are almost universally ridden by ne'er-do-wells, whether deliberately antisocially or ignorantly outside the law. Not a great advert for the company.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

my gut feeling says if they are up to no good to fund it one way or another

PK99

Legendary Member
I wonder what Sur Ron think about all this? Their bikes are almost universally ridden by ne'er-do-wells, whether deliberately antisocially or ignorantly outside the law. Not a great advert for the company.

I doubt they care- the sell bikes for money.

They need to tackle this the way they tackle alcohol and tobacco

Make it illegal to even try to sell
I mean - if I sold a load of whiskey to some kids and said they said that it was "for their Mum" then that wouldn't be OK

I know several shops that sell e-scooters
I have also heard the LBS say they can derestrict an ebike "as long as you are not going to use it on the road"
which is about the same as a 12 year old saying these fags are for me Mum

They also need some decent regulations which cover all low power electrical transport devices and stop pratting about

but I have banged on about that several time before
(and written to my MP about it!!! - yes I am Mrs Trellis!)

postman

Legendary Member
it's all too late,the lid is off the box,and it's possible some important people have a share portfolio of certain companies and are making a mint.

it's all too late,the lid is off the box,and it's possible some important people have a share portfolio of certain companies and are making a mint.

That has occurred to me
If they introduced a thing where e-scooters were allowed if they complied with some new regulations - then how could they ever enforce it
how would all the scooter already bought be dealt with - expecting everyone to happily turn up to an authorised testing station and merrily queue and blissfully pay for the test
is overly optimistic

postman

Legendary Member
the people in charge can't even make sure some motorists have insurance or tax their cars.Should never have done away with tax discs,i loved checking cars out when i was cycling.

classic33

Leg End Member
That has occurred to me
If they introduced a thing where e-scooters were allowed if they complied with some new regulations - then how could they ever enforce it
how would all the scooter already bought be dealt with - expecting everyone to happily turn up to an authorised testing station and merrily queue and blissfully pay for the test
is overly optimistic
They're easier remove from the road than any other vehicle, and they take up less room.

Top Bottom