Another "e-bike" death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Someone at work has exactly that, after being banned from riding motorbike (multiple speeding offences, l’m told)

He brags that his e-bike will touch 50MPH
I’ve not seen him ride it, but others have (who l believe what they tell me)

He has been warned multiple times about his riding by us all
Plus, told in no uncertain terms, that if he’s involved in a RTC, where anyone else is injured (or their property/vehicle damaged) that the Police will be asked to examine the bike very carefully

However, he’s a know-it-all, with an answer for everything, and has told us all he has to say is, he bought it like that & didn’t know it was illegal

Our response is “there’s more of us than you, to give statements, & security will offer film footage that covers part of the grounds & the adjacent main road, so your speed could be calculated

Probably won't be long before he runs out of skills or luck.

So his attitude is that if he is banned from riding his motorbike then it be seen as less of a problem to ride a totally illegal electric motorbike than riding his ICE motorbike
and - as an extra bonus - he doesn;t even have to wear those useless helmet things and all that

win win really??

He will soon learn that ignorance of the law is not an admissable defence.
He has been told exactly that innumerable times
Quite frankly, that’s what we expect, as long as no-one else is involved/innocent party
So his attitude is that if he is banned from riding his motorbike then it be seen as less of a problem to ride a totally illegal electric motorbike than riding his ICE motorbike
and - as an extra bonus - he doesn;t even have to wear those useless helmet things and all that

win win really??

Why don't you report him to the police?
It's a Catch 22
He's committing the offences concerning the state of the bike (upping the power/derestricting)
But the Police are pushed from 'Pillar To Post', & on their way back again, before even reaching the 'post'

It could save someone from injury, if it is reported/acted upon

Likewise, I'd love to see the innumerable bikes I see every morning/evening ridden without lights, on their way to/home from a local industrial estate/warehouse complex, all stopped - bikes taken from them. until they come to the Police Station with lights for them

But.................... that's not going to happen, unless at least a Superintendant, or higher rank, is hit/knocks off one of these people, then orders may be issued??

classic33

Leg End Member
A wise guy once said "Look around, man! There are no police! It's Christmas! You could steal City Hall!"
That "wise man" was just a thief on a bike.

PK99

Legendary Member
It's a Catch 22
He's committing the offences concerning the state of the bike (upping the power/derestricting)
But the Police are pushed from 'Pillar To Post', & on their way back again, before even reaching the 'post'

Likewise, I'd love to see the innumerable bikes I see every morning/evening ridden without lights, on their way to/home from a local industrial estate/warehouse complex, all stopped - bikes taken from them. until they come to the Police Station with lights for them

But.................... that's not going to happen, unless at least a Superintendant, or higher rank, is hit/knocks off one of these people, then orders may be issued??

But if he kills someone, will you sleep well?

PK99

Legendary Member
@PK99
Moral dilemma, for all of us, who see him
Plus, anyone else on here, who knows of anyone with a bike like that? (or rides an e-scooter, like a cock-womble)

There was a guy in the group I used to hang with just a few years ago, who would have 3/4 pints then drive folks home. I resolved that if I was ever present, I would decline the lift and, before getting a cab home, I would call the police and report his car number and home address.

It never happened, as this was one of the reasons I chose to step away from that group of people.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's a Catch 22

There is no moral dilemma, catch 22 or anything else.

If you feel strongly about this scooter rider, you report him to police.

No second guessing what the police will do, or otherwise trying to do the cops' job for them.

Once the report is made, your part in the matter is done.

Jody

Stubborn git
" if that means letting them go and identifying them later, then so be it"

Isn't that what caused a spike in mopeds being used for all sorts of wrong in London? Take your helmet off and the police had to call off the chase.

It came down rapidly when officers were given the power to ram them. With or without a helmet on.

Top Bottom