Another "e-bike" death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
57mph would probably cure my constipation.

It would certainly be making me very nervous indeed. I don't think I've ever been above 45mph on a bike.

Solocle

Über Member
Is this where it turns into a humble thread about top speeds? :whistle:

Eh, just trying to illustrate the limits of the "no pedalling" test in extremis. It would be quite funny being pulled over for being on an illegal e-bike only to turn out to be not an e-bike at all! It might be less funny if you were riding a legal e-bike and had it confiscated as a result...

Reminds me a bit of this:

Attachments

• 1691058306198.png
    1691058306198.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 1691058333540.png
    1691058333540.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 18

Solocle

Über Member
It was a little humour based on how threads usually go when someone posts their top speed.

I doubt the police would pull anyone going downhill. If you were doing 56 on the flat or uphill it could be a little suspicious

I mean, slipstreaming has got me close in the past... :laugh:
1691060511165.png

Mike_P

Guru
Just lost an ebike Strava KOM up a 0.31 mile climb of 4.3% average of 1:20 set in April 2021 on the return of a shopping trip by someone doing it in 0:57 on an e mountain bike :huh: Might be genuine given that 17 mile ride which tracks as being on tarmac only had a 11 mph average.

pjd57

Veteran
Glasgow City centre is over run by them.
A real hazard to everyone else on the roads or pavements.
Yet nothing is being done about it.

Alex321

Veteran
The entire planet is over run by motorists speeding and breaking every single rule in the book and so causing thousands of accidents and deaths around the world.
Yet nothing is being done about it.

What an utterly ludicrous thig to say.

You really need to take those blinkers off and have a look around the world, and even the UK, if you seriously think nothing is being done about it.

Yes - this would help
it is basically giving ll legal (and nearly legal) ebikes a bad name

the way things are going someone in Parliament will feel it is necessary to "reform" the regulations
i.e. insurance, helmets, reg plates - maybe even MOT and "road tax"

which will, of course, fix the problem totally because all the numpties on the 5 million W motors will immediately lock them up and start riding a Raleigh Motus instead with full legal compliance

I give it a week
I saw one of these ‘e-MX’ a few days ago
Unless he’d decided just to put any old plate on it, it bore a registration plate
He wore a full-face helmet (motorcycle style)

Conversely, l had a cock-womble on an e-scooter overtake me at the weekend (stand up type), my speedometer was showing 32MPH
He overtook me, then moped, before going through a crossroads, on a red-light

He’ll be scraped off the road soon, & doubtless some poor driver will get the blame & have nightmares about it

But you can "take up" cycling on an electric bike, when you loose your licence due to being caught.
Someone at work has exactly that, after being banned from riding motorbike (multiple speeding offences, l’m told)

He brags that his e-bike will touch 50MPH
I’ve not seen him ride it, but others have (who l believe what they tell me)

He has been warned multiple times about his riding by us all
Plus, told in no uncertain terms, that if he’s involved in a RTC, where anyone else is injured (or their property/vehicle damaged) that the Police will be asked to examine the bike very carefully

However, he’s a know-it-all, with an answer for everything, and has told us all he has to say is, he bought it like that & didn’t know it was illegal

Our response is “there’s more of us than you, to give statements, & security will offer film footage that covers part of the grounds & the adjacent main road, so your speed could be calculated

Venod

Eh up
This probably shouldn't be in this thread, but it just highlights the total disregard of the law by some people.
I was riding along the main Wakefield to Doncaster road when a large motorbike passed blowing its horn at me, two youths hoods up no helmets, they had to stop for roadworks at Nostall Priory Bridge and I caught them up, I asked why the horn, they said just being friendly, they looked about 16, I said you will get caught you know, at which point they mumbled something and shot off through the red light.
This is a main road fairly busy at times, I was amazed at their brazen law breaking.

Top Bottom