Another "e-bike" death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That will make it easy for the police to seize any of them ridden badly enough to give them reasonable suspicion to check, then!

You are required to have a sticker showing the wattage

They are available on ebay

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You are required to have a sticker showing the wattage

They are available on ebay

I might be wrong, but I believe the one which says '250W, honest' is the best seller.

Testing is not a simple matter because the legislation calls for a maximum of 250W 'nominal', a term which is very difficult to tie down.

All motors peak at twice or three times their nominal rating, so at what output does a 250W nominal motor become illegal?

The speed limit is much simpler to test and enforce.

If the bike will do over 15.5mph without pedalling, it's illegal.

Cops can get those simply by following with their video recording - no need for messing around with testing.

boydj

Legendary Member
I might be wrong, but I believe the one which says '250W, honest' is the best seller.

Testing is not a simple matter because the legislation calls for a maximum of 250W 'nominal', a term which is very difficult to tie down.

All motors peak at twice or three times their nominal rating, so at what output does a 250W nominal motor become illegal?

The speed limit is much simpler to test and enforce.

If the bike will do over 15.5mph without pedalling, it's illegal.

Cops can get those simply by following with their video recording - no need for messing around with testing.

If a recently-built electric bike will move at any speed without pedalling, then it's illegal. If pedal-assistance produces power at speeds above 15.5 mph, it's illegal.

Rather pedantic - but pre 2016 ebikes can have a throttle due to grandfather right
The rules were synced with the EU from 1 Jan 2016 when the throttle was banned - so older ebike cna have one - but they must obey ALL the pre-2016 regs - which also limits the motor power to 200 W!

I know this because I used to have a pre 2016 ebike with a throttle - but the motor was only 180W - the modern 250W are WAY more powerful - especially uphill!

Dadam

If a recently-built electric bike will move at any speed without pedalling, then it's illegal. If pedal-assistance produces power at speeds above 15.5 mph, it's illegal.

Wrong! It's often called walk assist and can legally move the bike up to 6 km/h by throttle or button push.
If you're going to assert things as bald fact without qualification like "I think" or "I believe", please check it is a fact first.

Wrong! It's often called walk assist and can legally move the bike up to 6 km/h by throttle or button push.
If you're going to assert things as bald fact without qualification like "I think" or "I believe", please check it is a fact first.

Spot on - I have walk assist. Have to press 1 button to activate and then keep another button pressed for it to power the bike whilst moving.

I'm not testing the max speed it works at, I'll look a bit silly running down the road pushing the bike!

Solocle

Über Member
On the level. Mine easilly gets into high 20s going downhill by itself. Ones with throttles are illegal over 3.7mph if not pedalled.

Mine has peaked at 57 mph without pedalling. And it doesn't even have an electric motor... Well, unless you count the dynamo. Photo taken a minute or two prior.

IMG_9255.jpeg

Top Bottom