Another Head Unit Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

It's time to get a head unit. Nearly killed my phone from a fall last week due to a very unaware pedestrian. I was only doing about 3mph trying to pass off the cycle path that they had decided to take up the whole width of after ringing bell and saying excuse me 3 times but got stuck in a rut and went over. Of course they didn't stop and check on me either but nevermind, all ok.

Requirements:
  • I use navigation a lot so needs good mapping and preferably audio turn instructions.
  • I want to link to Di2 for gears, battery level, hidden button operation. Probably my Bontrager Ion lights too but not important.
  • A good size screen would be nice.
  • Easy use of planned routes from Komoot and automatic upload to Strava.
  • I would like to be able to fit my light underneath (GoPro style mount).
My thoughts/concerns on devices.
Garmin Edge 830 - Expensive. Screen not particularly big and if spending that much, not a huge amount more to go for Garmin Edge 1030. No mount included.
Garmin Edge 1030 - Very expensive. Biggest screen. Lots of features I wouldn't use. No mount included.
Wahoo Element Roam - Cheapest of the 3 and looks good. Decent screen size. Mount included.

With the Garmins, am I right in saying the Quarter turn to friction flange mount will fit to the standard mount giving me my light mount? So I would have to buy a mount and that.

With the Wahoo, the mount doesn't seem to have any way of attaching a GoPro style mount. K-Edge mounts are available but are about £60 including the GoPro mount.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on the options given my requirements. Haven't looked at the new Hammerhead Karoo 2 as it's not out yet and I don't think it plays nicely with Komoot. Open to ideas though.

rivers

How far can I go?
Go with the wahoo, and use the wahoo mount for the wahoo, and the go pro mount for the go pro. If I can fit a wahoo, light, and camera on my 36cm bars, you should be okay.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Edge 530 is cheaper - why the 830?
Good question. A gap in my research there I suppose. Didn't realise they were the same size screen and almost the same apart from a touchscreen. I expect to do most of my navigating between screens from the hidden buttons on top of the hoods anyway so a touchscreen is probably unnecessary.

si_c

Guru
The Garmin head units do come with a mount in the box - the standard out front one.

I'm not a huge fan of them though so use a barfly road 4 mount - this comes with a whole stack of mounting options including a GoPro style mount underneath and a cateye underslung mount too.

They (Garmins) work well with Ant+ light networks too.

justinmg

I have been happy with the edge 530 and lights and radar is fantastic.

Not sure how screen buttons in hoods would work....

Top Bottom