Another mudguard query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need some guards for a Trek Alpha H2 2.5 that has 23mm tyres. From my reading either SKS raceblades or crud road racer could do, although I've read good and bad of both.

I sometimes have to transport the bike on a car roof mounted rack and am wondering how these lightweight guards would fare in the airstream. I keep the speed down to about 60 mph when the bike is on the roof, but a headwind could easily make that an 80 mph airstream.

Anybody have experience of these guards in this situation please.

Thanks

Graham

vickster

Legendary Member
Cruds are very flimsy and frankly quite rubbish if you have an alternative, better to get raceblades, easier to remove and set up

13 rider

Guru
I like my cruds would I trust them on a car roof . possiblly ??. But I don't worry about them on 40 mph descents

Last edited:

lpretro1

You may find it difficult if not impossible to fit a front SKS raceblade. I have just fitted a BBB Road Protector front one and for the price (8.00) it is really good - sturdy and very easily removable

OP
OP
graham bowers
Thanks for the replies. I've made my mind up what my next steps will be.

I did buy some raceblade XL's from my LBS (as I was considering putting 25mm tyres on) and Ipretro is perfectly correct, the front one will not fit, even with 23mm tyres. I'd bent the wires extensively before coming to the conclusion the front would not fit so just put it down to experience. I noticed afterwards in the instructions that the standard raceblades had some sort of thingy for use with aero forks so hoped that would help and would have just gritted my teeth and bought a set if success was guaranteed - but when I watched a fitup on youtube I see the thingy does not go between the fork and guard so would not alter the fitup one iota.

Anyway, I've decided to buy some stainless steel and make up some new custom stays for the front guard as I think that is the least bad option. I think its the worst forty quid I've spent in a long long time and I've still got more to spend for the SS. I only just resisted the urge to jump on them and throw the bits in the bin ;-)) They do come off easily enough so I'll remove them when the bike is on the roof.

Top Bottom