Another 'My first TT' thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Wasn't sure which board to put this one in really, sorry if it's not in the right place.

Just signed-up for my first TT, tomorrow night! It's a 10 and the start is about 17 miles from home. I plan on riding to work and back, as usual (21 miles round trip). Then riding down to the start, doing the TT and possibly riding back home (might jump on a train back) - so looking at 65 miles tomorrow, quite possibly. Is this stupid and should I really think about having a day off the commute tomorrow?

I am aiming for a sub 30 min ride and anything around the 28 min mark would be wonderful! Remains to be seen though and I'll probably go off too fast and blow up, etc etc.

Cheers!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I think the problem you will have by cycling over to the start is that you'll be all nice and warmed up after getting there, but might have to hang around to start, thus getting all cold again. It would make more sense to take the bike in the car (if you have one and it's big enough), get over there, find out your start time. Then go for a quick ride prior to the time so you are warmed up ready to go. Less chance of a blow up due to the bonk.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I think the problem you will have by cycling over to the start is that you'll be all nice and warmed up after getting there, but might have to hang around to start, thus getting all cold again. It would make more sense to take the bike in the car (if you have one and it's big enough), get over there, find out your start time. Then go for a quick ride prior to the time so you are warmed up ready to go. Less chance of a blow up due to the bonk.

Yeah - have considered this aspect. There are 2 slots at the end of the order that are currently free but the organiser will try to fit me into somewhere higher up the list, as he prefers not to have a newbie go off last. So I don't know exactly what time I will get to go off at. I don't have a car and don't fancy dragging the bike on a busy train just at the end of the roush hour... Can probably ride gently to the start and pootle about for a little while up and down the road, when I know what time I am off at.

Cheers Edwards - will report back either tomorrow night or Weds morning. Good luck if you do yours.

fimm

Veteran
Good luck, SD. I hope you enjoy yourself as well. (I really like TTing, even though you would not believe it when I'm collapsed over the bike at the finish...)

montage

God Almighty
Good luck SD mate! Sounds like a lot of miles to get in before the TT. I'd also suggest having the bike computer set up so you can't see the speed, or at least try to ignore it. I like to look at distance and heart rate only

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Looking at your MyCylingLog avg speed stats these days Ant... think you are going to get a very good time.

Thanks - wish I shared your confidence! Commute home this evening was energy sapping but I wasn't pushing it hard... trying to save a bit for tomorrow :tongue:

Good luck SD, just keep your legs going round and round as fast as you can.
Sage advice Noods! I will try this tactic tomorrow :bicycle:

Top Bottom