Another newspaper story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am on a role to try and persuade motorists around my area that cyclists have every right to be on the roads. Most recently, I have had a post in the local newspaper.
100_1802.jpg

I understand that some of the comments are a bit vague and I should have kept to one topic, but I felt that if I was going to have my say, then I would cover as many things as possible.

endoman

Who's paying you to ride a bike?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The exact distance isnt really that important, the point I was trying to get ovver is that cyclists need more room when overtaking.

it is important when it looks like you don't know what you are talking about.

Think about it.
Mr car driver reads you letter... blah blah blah doesn't even know the difference between meters and feet blah blah blah.. why should I take notice blah blah blah.

You see where I am coming from.

DRHysted

Guru
Off topic, but I keep seeing on this forum that road tax stopped in 1937 and VED is emmisions based. But the VED on my last car was not emissions based, nor is my sisters car based on emissions?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Off topic, but I keep seeing on this forum that road tax stopped in 1937 and VED is emmisions based. But the VED on my last car was not emissions based, nor is my sisters car based on emissions?
It should be emissions based. Thats why a G-wiz or Tesla dont pay anything, because they are electric cars.

green1

Über Member
It should be emissions based. Thats why a G-wiz or Tesla dont pay anything, because they are electric cars.
It is only emissions based on car registered after 1st march 2001. Electric cars have emissions it's just that they are hidden away at a power station. Also they are full of batteries which means the carbon foot print for manufature of the car is far higher than an equivilent internal combustion powered car.

DRHysted

Guru
Iirc VED has only been emission based since 2000 (maybe2001). Previous to that it was done by engine size. It could not be retrospectivly applyed to vehicles registered before 2000/1 because they did not have declared emissions, so the engine size bandings still exsist, hence why my sisters car is not priced by emissions.

Drat you got there first (and with the accurate date), but only because I was doing some work, at work. I've stopped doing that now.

Top Bottom