Another newspaper story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It is only emissions based on car registered after 1st march 2001. Electric cars have emissions it's just that they are hidden away at a power station. Also they are full of batteries which means the carbon foot print for manufature of the car is far higher than an equivilent internal combustion powered car.
Yes I know that. The pollution made from manufacturing a Toyota Prius is more than manufacturing a normal 1.6 ltr car.

Another point against the motor car there.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Iirc VED has only been emission based since 2000 (maybe2001). Previous to that it was done by engine size. It could not be retrospectivly applyed to vehicles registered before 2000/1 because they did not have declared emissions, so the engine size bandings still exsist, hence why my sisters car is not priced by emissions.
Oh right. I understand now.

on the road

Über Member
I am on a role to try and persuade motorists around my area that cyclists have every right to be on the roads. Most recently, I have had a post in the local newspaper.
100_1802.jpg

I understand that some of the comments are a bit vague and I should have kept to one topic, but I felt that if I was going to have my say, then I would cover as many things as possible.
It looks a bit like me me me.

mangaman

I love the "I am a professional cyclist" - great stuff :thumbsup:

I don't have the letter to which you're responding - from Gez Jones - but I'm guessing it was cyclists ..blah..no road tax.. no insurance.. nuisance..blah blah?

You mention insurance, but I'm guessing the general reader will want to know if you have 3rd party insurance if you bump into them. Your letter says your bike is insured, which is very different.

Assuming you do, I would have highlighted 3rd party insurance via BC or CTC as most people won't know that most of us are insured.

And shortening the long section on road funding would have been punchier - just one sentence pointing out we all pay via taxation.

And I wouldn't have criticised peds.

I hope I don't sound too negative - just my observations.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Yes it's seems to imply that cyclists are totally blameless. But I certainly see where you are coming from.
Yes. It's about time some one recognised this fact.:whistle:

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I saw that in the Rhyl Journal this morning. Well done Matthew. The bit about peds walking on clearly marked cycle paths must refer to the Colwyn Bay/Rhos on Sea stretch I'll bet. I'm looking forward to the new cycle bridge by the blue bridge, as long as they keep the path clear of sand!

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I saw that in the Rhyl Journal this morning. Well done Matthew. The bit about peds walking on clearly marked cycle paths must refer to the Colwyn Bay/Rhos on Sea stretch I'll bet. I'm looking forward to the new cycle bridge by the blue bridge, as long as they keep the path clear of sand!
I have been meaning to catch a worker and ask when it is scheduled to be completed. They have been very busy there recently so I just suspect it will be around christmas time. They have all the metalwork on the side.

The way that the bridge is positioned, the sand will be hitting the side (if any). Sea water will be very corrosive to the paintwork, just like the Blue Bridge has needed repairs.
The blue bridge has always been a problem as there is no way of getting around it without using the road or pavement.

Top Bottom