Another one doing his best to enhance our image

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BorderReiver

Veteran
No excuse for behavior like that but I do wonder what happened before that to prompt such an outburst, just for context. Seems unlikely the driver was behaving in an exemplary manner and the bike rider (I hesitate to call him a "cyclist") just randomly decided to take out some pent up aggression on her.

D

Deleted member 1258

The Daily Mail doesn't like my add blocker so I only got to read the first paragraph, unacceptable behavior, but I wonder what sparked off the rant.

Brandane

Legendary Member
One or two observations here...
1. As has been hinted at above, there might be another side to this story.
2. The woman was "out for a drive"? Please see thread titled "Lockdown, what lockdown". Essential journey then, I don't think so.
3. @Drago , sorry but this guys actions should have no more bearing on "our image" than the multitude of nobbers I see in cars every day have on my image because I drive a car.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
3. @Drago , sorry but this guys actions should have no more bearing on "our image" than the multitude of nobbers I see in cars every day have on my image because I drive a car.
To you, me, and sensible people everywhere, that is definitely the case.

Alas, the fact that the Daily Mail is currently the UK's best selling newspaper is proof that their readership are out there in vast numbers. One glance at the comments shows that their readership think cyclists the bastid spawn of Lenin and Jack the Ripper.

In any sensible, logical, world, the actions of one plum would not reflect badly on all of whatever sector of society they happen to be identified with.

Sadly, we do not live in such a World. The Dail Mail masses can and do tar us all with this chump's brush. Its wrong, but its the reality, and wishing it were otherwise doesn't change it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In any sensible, logical, world, the actions of one plum would not reflect badly on all of whatever sector of society they happen to be identified with.

Sadly, we do not live in such a World.

Yes we do. I've never seen this kind of message on a car forum or in the press whenever a driver does something bad. No public outrage, no talkshow phone-ins, no click-bait opinions on social media whenever it happens.

One of many of examples: an uninsured, speeding driver kills two people and flees the scene, leaving them for dead.

Here he is, pictured outside court..

hussain.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-55704449

"The family of a couple killed in a hit-and-run has described them as "the most wonderful people", after the driver who caused their deaths was jailed.
Childhood sweethearts Ann and Lawrence Nickerson, from Heaton, Newcastle, were hit by a car on Jesmond Road in 2019.
Mrs Nickerson, 75, died at the scene. Mr Nickerson, 79, died in hospital.
Asif Hussain, 23, of Wingrove Gardens, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving and was jailed at Newcastle Crown Court for two years."

Alas, the fact that the Daily Mail is currently the UK's best selling newspaper is proof that their readership are out there in vast numbers. One glance at the comments shows that their readership think cyclists the bastid spawn of Lenin and Jack the Ripper.
How many of them were tree-hugging cyclist-lovers before they read the article??

Totally agree.

Like others - I strongly suspect the driver did something to annoy the bike rider before this happened - close pass or maybe pulled up in front of him without seeing him

but that doesn't excuse his behaviour afterwards - in any way
if he can be found I would be happy to see him with a massive fine or worse

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I didn't realise i signed up to be an ambassador when i sat on a bicycle? Surely, people are choosing to ride a bicycle for far more better reasons than seeing me hack away on my bike down the street in a good mannered and sensible approach? I doubt that would encourage anybody on the fence about taking up cycling. Take that argument to motoring and there are so many dipsheets driving it's a wonder anybody is "encouraged" to drive! What about Jamie Carragher spitting at kids from his car window? That being said, the DM have a habit of editing clips to create a narrative and the frothy, mealy mouthed nobs reading it will spout the usual nonsense. It gets clicks, it pays the man offshore at the end of the day...

That being said, of course, i do not condone the behaviour of the cyclist, using covid as a weapon for fear. But the stories of cyclists ending up wrapped around the driveshafts of cars, vans and trucks are out there in a surprising amount that automatically puts a cyclist on the edge. Any near miss from a motorist with their blinkers on does wind up a cyclist that may have ended up in hospital or the morgue!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
To you, me, and sensible people everywhere, that is definitely the case.

Sadly, we do not live in such a World. The Dail Mail masses can and do tar us all with this chump's brush. Its wrong, but its the reality, and wishing it were otherwise doesn't change it.

The Daily Mail is reporting it purely to generate clicks through hatred.

Don't encourage them.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Watched it on the star website which is marginally better than the DM. Five seconds of video? Nah.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider

May be worth not plastering your threads with titles aiding and abetting the rag's narrative, though.

Johnno260

Veteran
Even if she did something to upset him, his actions are totally inexcusable.

Unfortunately people read this and buy into the theory this is how we all act.

Partly why I don’t read the news anymore, too much of it is a clickbait hate generator.

Top Bottom