Another pedestrian injured by cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The sooner they start licencing these things the better.

They already require a licence, hence the various RTA charges.

Smudge

Veteran
If this does transpire to be a non road legal ebike, and i highly suspect it is, especially as the CPS have ok'd the charges of 'causing death while unlicensed and causing death while uninsured'..... then i hope if he's convicted that they give him the highest sentence possible. Mainly for the family of this poor woman that lost her life, but it will also hopefully put a strong message out about riding these non road legal ebikes.

icowden

Veteran
  • It puts "hit-and-run" in the headline and calls it "a suspected hit-and-run" in the first paragraph when there's no such criminal offence for cycling

To be fair to the journalist, there is no such criminal offence for vehicles either. The offence for vehicles is:-

Fail to stop/report road accident (Revised 2017)
Road Traffic Act 1988, s.170(4)

Hit and run is just a description. In addition the Act refers to the Driver of a "mechanically propelled vehicle". There is no stipulation that this cannot be an electric bike. It could be an interesting test case if the e-bike has been modified to be mechanically propelled (as was suggested in the article).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They already require a licence, hence the various RTA charges.

The wording of the most serious death by dangerous charge is that 'you drove a mechanically propelled vehicle dangerously'.

'Mechanically propelled' for this purpose includes an electric motor.

There is no mention in that charge of the legality of the vehicle - that's covered elsewhere.

It seems to me that a rider of a legal ebike could be in line for death by dangerous if he knocked someone over and killed them.

What if the accident happened while the rider was riding above the cut off limit or freewheeling down hill.

Is the vehicle still 'mechanically propelled'?

A death by push cycling law was under consideration last year, but I don't think it's reached the statute books yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45154708

Good morning,

There is a reason why the linked to site is not accepting comments, it is an ongoing case. :-)

I have flagged this for moderator's attention as posters need to be very careful what they say.

Bye

Ian

Drago

Legendary Member
What is it about our culture that makes riding an internal combustion motorcycle without the requisite licence a naughty thing to do, but an electric powered motorcycle ok so long as you don't get caught?

Smudge

Veteran
What is it about our culture that makes riding an internal combustion motorcycle without the requisite licence a naughty thing to do, but an electric powered motorcycle ok so long as you don't get caught?

Many people seem to think that riding these illegal ebikes on the road, and other places that are used by the public, is perfectly acceptable. They will freely admit that they do this, because so far, there has been very little chance of being caught.

D

Deleted member 26715

Many people seem to think that riding these illegal ebikes on the road, and other places that are used by the public, is perfectly acceptable. They will freely admit that they do this, because so far, there has been very little chance of being caught.
It's not just these ebikes is it, it seems to be all vehicles, I was going to pick the wife up on Sunday from her friends, i was in a 30mph zone when suddenly a car overtook 4-6 cars coming the other way, they must have been doing 60-70mph on my side of the road. They knew they could because there's nobody whose going to stop them, there's no Police on the road & very very few people would give chase & confront them.

Top Bottom